Reptile Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

I have reserved a Cali Kingsnake about 3 months old probably a bit thicker than my index finger and am super excited to pick him/her up.

My question is I was going to buy a HabiStat Hatchling Snake Starter Kit as it seemed to make sense then the Mrs reminded me about the kit I bought for our beared dragon before I upgraded the viv.

So I have spare

VivExotic Viva+ 115x49x50
habitat 600w dimming thermostat

Would these be ok or will the Viv be too big?
I also have a large branch that will take up a lot of room anyway.
I can buy a heat mat and or use the ceramic I have spare.

A couple of shops have said the Viv will be too big.

·
Registered
9,152 Posts
I personally wouldn't put such a small snake straight into a large enclosure but that's only because of how easily they can escape (especially kingsnakes /milksnakes)I'd let him grow a bit first. It's a complete myth that snakes won't do well in large enclosures, if you pack the enclosure out with hides and cover then it'll soon settle in. However, for now I would avoid a large enclosure which is easy to escape from.

Sent from my EML-L29 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
63 Posts
Hi All,

I have reserved a Cali Kingsnake about 3 months old probably a bit thicker than my index finger and am super excited to pick him/her up.

My question is I was going to buy a HabiStat Hatchling Snake Starter Kit as it seemed to make sense then the Mrs reminded me about the kit I bought for our beared dragon before I upgraded the viv.

So I have spare

VivExotic Viva+ 115x49x50
habitat 600w dimming thermostat

Would these be ok or will the Viv be too big?
I also have a large branch that will take up a lot of room anyway.
I can buy a heat mat and or use the ceramic I have spare.

A couple of shops have said the Viv will be too big.
Congratulations. Kingsnakes are really fantastic animals. The vivarium is absolutely fine for an adult, you might find a hatchling is a little nervous in it but to be honest Kingsnakes are usually such confident snakes I suspect it will be fine. I would certainly try it, if you find the animal is reluctant to eat you can raise it up a bit first in a large faunarium or RUB. If you use Aspen as a substrate that will help with providing cover as it will be able to burrow easily.

If it is a hatchling you're getting just be sure to pack the vivarium full of hiding spots and cover. As for the heating, I would use a heat bulb with your dimming stat personally and a guard over that. 30c hotspot for kingsnakes is fine with a gradient to room temperature. Then it can be turned off on a night time, I use a timer personally.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the info guys much appreciated.

On the Viv I can't get my little finger between the glass no matter how hard I push. I will pop a pic up so you can see her size and let me know if you think she/he is still small enough to fit between the glass.

I could put a wood partition in to make it smaller if needs be. I just don't want to buy another Viv for it to go to waste although I do quite like those small monkfield enclosures the starter kit come with.

·
Registered
9,152 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks All for the advice.

Ceramic vs heatmat shall I use both or stick to a ceramic which I already have.

Or I have a basking bulb from my bearded dragons spares.

·
Registered
9,152 Posts
Thanks All for the advice.

Ceramic vs heatmat shall I use both or stick to a ceramic which I already have.

Or I have a basking bulb from my bearded dragons spares.
Ceramic on a thermostat will be fine :)

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
What's the likely hood of the vents being pulled out?

I have silicone the seams and was wondering if to do the vents as well.

They are those easy vents on the Vivexotics and pushed in from the inside.

·
Premium Member
5 snakes, a fair few spiders, 2 elderly horses, a crazy collie and a cat.
2,002 Posts
What's the likely hood of the vents being pulled out?

I have silicone the seams and was wondering if to do the vents as well.

They are those easy vents on the Vivexotics and pushed in from the inside.
Yes I'd do around the vents, my Milksnake has had a few vents out as he seems to cling to them somehow.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well I picked her/him up this afternoon :)

Imediately buried in the substrate so hopefully be out later or tomorrow.

I did notice when I put Cali in the Viv that her eyes are slightly blue so I guess about to shed?

·
Registered
9,152 Posts
Well I picked her/him up this afternoon :)

Imediately buried in the substrate so hopefully be out later or tomorrow.

I did notice when I put Cali in the Viv that her eyes are slightly blue so I guess about to shed?
Most likely in shed. Also, leave her a week to settle in before disturbing her :)

Reactions: Demonique
1 - 20 of 34 Posts