Reptile Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ive recently been mite attacked:devil: they are on my royal and brb, anyway i got some callingtons mite spray ( after hearing how good it is) and used it on sunday night. i followed the instructions to the letter!
well now 5 days on the mites are still there ( adult mites) as they've been every day that ive checked since sunday, running around almost mocking me!!!!
does any1 have any ideas what could of gone wrong the only thing i can think of is could these mites have hid in the orchid bark which is quite deep and suvived??
if anything there seems to be more mites on them now than before i used the callingtons.:devil:

·
Registered
990 Posts
Im pretty sure you are meant to remove all substrate and just use paper towel or newspaper whilst using callingtons?

·
Registered
4,505 Posts
Remove all the bark, and any other large wooden things that could maybe harbour them in deep crevices and chuck it away, preferably burn it but this isn't always possible.
It's advisable to put a reptile with mites on kitchen paper or newspaper anyway so you should have removed it all before treatment.
Retreat the viv and snake.

·
Registered
5,743 Posts
This is how I use callingtons and it always works for me.

(I use a paper substrate anyway)

Remove water bowl

Fog viv with all furnishings and snake in it.

24 hours later return water bowl

Spot clean only until after next treatment

Repeat process 7 days later

spot clean only for 7 days

Full clean

Yes they may have survived in the orchid bark. Did you give it a good spray and a mix around?

edit - forgot to mention that I give outside the viv a good spray too to kill off any stragglers and escapees.
Bake your substrate before using as this can be a source of mites.

·
Registered
5,743 Posts
You do not need to throw branches away. Soak them completely immersed in water or bake them. Dry them out and then spray with callingtons. Will do the job.

·
Registered
5,589 Posts
PROVENT A MITE

use once mites dead its that simple mate

cheers shaun

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
It hasn't worked because you left (probably heavily) infested substrate in the viv...A nice damp little breeding ground for the blighters, what do you think the mites did when you sprayed the viv?I d put good money on the fact that they all burrowed as far into the "deep" substrate as they could get until the spray settled before resurfacing and continue to munch on the snakes! :bash:

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
leaving the substrate in isn't the issue, the issue is that you are supposed to re-apply after a week.
He said it had only been 5 days and had seen mites on the snake everyday since application. When I used callingtons, I didn't see any more mites on the snake pretty quickly, isnt the 7th day reapplication to kill any remaining eggs and break the lifecycle?

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
thanks for all the advice, ive now done them again but removed everything so there is nowhere for them to hide:Na_Na_Na_Na:.
Hopefully this will do the trick.

·
Registered
35,069 Posts
He said it had only been 5 days and had seen mites on the snake everyday since application. When I used callingtons, I didn't see any more mites on the snake pretty quickly, isnt the 7th day reapplication to kill any remaining eggs and break the lifecycle?
something wasn't done properly

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
If the substrate was sprayed, it shouldn't be infested.
I would think that leaving a very deep layer of orchid bark in the viv whilst spraying is a bad idea..The spray will NOT reach the deepest parts, which is where the mites will hide. Also, with substrate like this I would imagine there is an abundance of mite eggs. Not a smart move imo.

·
Registered
3,211 Posts
I would think that leaving a very deep layer of orchid bark in the viv whilst spraying is a bad idea..The spray will NOT reach the deepest parts, which is where the mites will hide. Also, with substrate like this I would imagine there is an abundance of mite eggs. Not a smart move imo.
If there's a deep layer, then yes, it's a bad idea.

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
If there's a deep layer, then yes, it's a bad idea.
Exactly. Tbf, if I had an infestation, even if it said on the tin that it could be used on substrate also..I would STILL remove all substrate and bin it, aswell as remove and thoroughly scrub every item in the viv with a decent rep disinfectant. But that's just me :Na_Na_Na_Na:

·
Registered
3,211 Posts
Exactly. Tbf, if I had an infestation, even if it said on the tin that it could be used on substrate also..I would STILL remove all substrate and bin it, aswell as remove and thoroughly scrub every item in the viv with a decent rep disinfectant. But that's just me :Na_Na_Na_Na:
Bin it?

I wouldn't even risk that.

Straight to the bonfire, petrol. Whoof.

Although I am a bit of a pyromaniac. Fire floats my boat :whistling2:

1 - 20 of 23 Posts