Reptile Forums banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I apologize in advance if this is a stupid question. I just love reticulated pythons and would really enjoy owning one. But here's the thing... I'm 5'3''. It won't take long for that cute little baby to outgrow me. So obviously there's no way I could safely handle it on my own.

I live with my sister, and another sister of mine comes over all the time. So there could be three of us handling it when it gets let out of its cage. Our sizes: 5'3'', 5'4'', and 5'2'' and we're all small-boned and thin. Unfortunately, we're all currently single so there aren't any strong guys who could help out.

So could the three of us alone safely handle an adult retic?

·
Registered
4,878 Posts
Are you fit cos I'm a strong man 8)....
Joking aside i would advise against it to be honest, it wouldn't be much fun for you or the snake if you can't handle it by yourself.

What if for some reason you had to get the snake out for what ever reason and it was just you at home?
In my experience with anything is don't land yourself in a situation where you absolutely have to rely on other people.

·
Registered
2,486 Posts
Are you fit cos I'm a strong man 8)....
Joking aside i would advise against it to be honest, it wouldn't be much fun for you or the snake if you can't handle it by yourself.

What if for some reason you had to get the snake out for what ever reason and it was just you at home?
In my experience with anything is don't land yourself in a situation where you absolutely have to rely on other people.
I do agree with this, why not go for a dwarf retic? :) all the fun of a retic just smaller

·
Registered
2,439 Posts
Get a baby and as it grows so will your confidence and knowledge

Im 5ft6 and weigh 8st 6oz
Yet I relocate Wild Retics and Burmese every week
Usually by myself

There are many smaller locales and males are always smaller than females
So if you talk to a few breeders you can probably find a male that will max out under 10ft fairly easily

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank-you for all the responses! What initially attracted me to the retic was its size, but I think I could go for a dwarf male. At least then I could really get a good feel for retics and then maybe one day I could handle a giant one once I had the confidence and experience.

I'm excited because I'll finally be able to get out of my rental situation and be in my own house this coming summer. I would love to then be able to add a large snake to the "family." I'll be in the country and I plan to raise rabbits, so the food issue will be covered.

:snake:

Reactions: Dz75

·
Registered
2,486 Posts
Thank-you for all the responses! What initially attracted me to the retic was its size, but I think I could go for a dwarf male. At least then I could really get a good feel for retics and then maybe one day I could handle a giant one once I had the confidence and experience.

I'm excited because I'll finally be able to get out of my rental situation and be in my own house this coming summer. I would love to then be able to add a large snake to the "family." I'll be in the country and I plan to raise rabbits, so the food issue will be covered.

Remember a dwarf will still be twice your size, so still a biggie if you're new to large snakes! :)

·
Registered
2,439 Posts
Remember a dwarf will still be twice your size, so still a biggie if you're new to large snakes! :)
But if you get a baby that wont matter
Just grow your knowledge as it grows in size
Although they are strong they are usually gentle giants
Only time you really need to be careful is when feeding as their food response can be a bit frightening to newcomers

Try to find someone near you who has a retic
Might give you a bit more insight into them

·
Registered
13,811 Posts
Twice a persons length is very different to their overall size. A large ish adult female dwarf Retic is generally going to weigh less than 10kg. I'm guessing the OP doesn't weigh 5kg :lol2: Bear in mind that they are also very slender and many won't get much bigger than a large Carpet python.

A Dwarf is a great way to go for your first. They can be very fast and food oriented though, so some experience with animals of this nature will stand you in good stead. Most of the CB ones I have come across have been lovely and calm though : victory:

·
Registered
2,957 Posts

they like nom noming guinea pigs to, and chickens

·
Premium Member
16,488 Posts
I apologize in advance if this is a stupid question. I just love reticulated pythons and would really enjoy owning one. But here's the thing... I'm 5'3''. It won't take long for that cute little baby to outgrow me. So obviously there's no way I could safely handle it on my own.

I live with my sister, and another sister of mine comes over all the time. So there could be three of us handling it when it gets let out of its cage. Our sizes: 5'3'', 5'4'', and 5'2'' and we're all small-boned and thin. Unfortunately, we're all currently single so there aren't any strong guys who could help out.

I think you should post this in 18+ the answers would be hilarious

·
Registered
8,925 Posts
But if you get a baby that wont matter
Just grow your knowledge as it grows in size
Although they are strong they are usually gentle giants
Only time you really need to be careful is when feeding as their food response can be a bit frightening to newcomers

Try to find someone near you who has a retic
Might give you a bit more insight into them
With a giant, it's important to get that understanding / feel for how the snake is going to respond. Handled regularly, most will be fairly predictable and handleable. If you get it wrong and a full-sized retic turned on you, it wouldn't make much difference how big you are - you could end up in trouble.

Whether or not you can pick up / move a large retic is a slightly different issue. I'm sure Steve D won't mind me posting this picture of his giant retic, Rosie, but if she decided to go somewhere, most people would be unable to stop her!

Reactions: Agate

·
Registered
4,096 Posts
As long as you do your research, and your helpers are 'snake people', I can't see a problem. Go for a baby, and your handling abilities will grow with the snake.

Dwarfs are all well and good, but you appear to be more interested in normal sized retics. If so, then get a male. They're not as big as the females, but still reach a good size. Mine is 12ft at the minute, and my uncles 5ft 2in girlfriend easily handles him on her own.

Also, take extra notice to its behaviour. Learning how he responds to food, viv opening, handling ect. Tap traing will lower the chances of a feeding response bite, as will drop feeding.

·
Registered
11,783 Posts

the answer to your question really depends on your knowledge,handling capabilities and your physical strength,yes it would be possible for 3 women of your size to handle a near 20ft retic but should one of you become constricted would the other two be able to remove the constriction and the bite quickly,i guess these are the questions you have to ask yourselves,if the answer is yes then your more than capable between you as 6 hands are better than 2 if they are all capable and ready to deal with any situation.

as for people stating that you should buy a youngster and grow with your retic that can be poor advice as ive known many people who bought hatchlings that could never handle a fully grown adult particularly if it became aggressive,i own several big retics from those type of situations which were basically rescues

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
Thanks for the answers. :) Some of them were quite funny, lol.

I like burms, but there are various legal reasons why I can't have one.

What does it mean if an ad says a retic is 62.5% dwarf? I don't know much yet about dwarves. How big should that grow? It's a male.

1 - 20 of 61 Posts