Reptile Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,911 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
this might sound stupid but can a corn snake have 2 dads im not talking about a cluch of corns haveing difrent dads im on about an individual corn snake having 2 dads as ive hered of chimera corn snake and is that what they are?

·
Registered
10,032 Posts
No, they can't, it is not possible. If 2 sperm fertilised one egg this would produce twins.
A chimera is a hybrid.
Life is created from 2 separate sets of DNA (one from the mother, one from the father), not 3.

·
Registered
1,911 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
chimeras are not hybrids all though they can be hybrids if u no what i mean like a chimera could be a hybrid but not all chimeras are hybrids and not all hybrids are chimeras.

also you get twins because an egg splits in to 2 not 2 sperm cells.

·
Registered
3,719 Posts
I know several chav kids with at least 6 dads......

·
Registered
35,069 Posts
a chimera is where 2 fertalized eggs become one offspring, the cell division goes wrong, one of the congential twins is absorbed by the other, an the resulting offspring has the features of both.

·
Registered
1,911 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i do know what a hybrid is for example in snakes a ball pythons bred 2 a blood python u would get blood x ball pythons or a king snake x corn snake i no what a hybrid is im say that a chimera is not a hybrid but both pure and hybrid animals could be chimeras.

·
Registered
16,590 Posts
i do know what a hybrid is for example in snakes a ball pythons bred 2 a blood python u would get blood x ball pythons or a king snake x corn snake i no what a hybrid is im say that a chimera is not a hybrid but both pure and hybrid animals could be chimeras.
I think it's your very long sentences confusing me.

·
Registered
1,911 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
but yes i do know what a chimera is and i no what a hybrid is

hybrids is the result of 2 species bred togever and the ofspring have dna of each.

chimera is is when 2 ferterlised eggs combine (kind of)

·
Registered
1,911 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
if a female was bred to 2 males isnt it posible 2 fertalised eggs ferterlised by difrent farthers could combine?

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
A genetic chimera is certainly possible through a number of processes. These are:

1) The fusion of two fertilized eggs. (A tetragametic chimera). The fused eggs represent non-identical twins and can therefore result in a male, female, or hermaphrodite.
2) The fusion of a fertilized egg with an unfertilized egg.
2) The fusion of a fertilized egg with an additional sperm.

In each case, the characteristics of each population of cells is maintained and the resulting individual exhibits characteristics of both parents.
The offspring are often viable however they will not pass on the genes of additional parents as the sexual organs have arisen from a single pair of parents.

Also, in an additional comment from ghostcornsnake, it was stated that twins results from the splitting of a fertilzed egg. This is one way that twins are created. In thi case they are identical, or monozygotic twins (i.e. originating from one zygote). The other form is through the fertilization of two eggs each by a single sperm. These will be dizygotic twins and are known as non-identical or fraternal twins.

One comment I will make is that chimeras are extremely rare in nature. What makes the original poster believe they have a chimera?

Warren

·
Registered
35,069 Posts
A genetic chimera is certainly possible through a number of processes. These are:

1) The fusion of two fertilized eggs. (A tetragametic chimera). The fused eggs represent non-identical twins and can therefore result in a male, female, or hermaphrodite.

In each case, the characteristics of each population of cells is maintained and the resulting individual exhibits characteristics of both parents.
The offspring are often viable however they will not pass on the genes of additional parents as the sexual organs have arisen from a single pair of parents.

Also, in an additional comment from ghostcornsnake, it was stated that twins results from the splitting of a fertilzed egg. This is one way that twins are created. In thi case they are identical, or monozygotic twins (i.e. originating from one zygote). The other form is through the fertilization of two eggs each by a single sperm. These will be dizygotic twins and are known as non-identical or fraternal twins.

One comment I will make is that chimeras are extremely rare in nature. What makes the original poster believe they have a chimera?

Warren
Warren,

Do you believe that paradox animals such as paradox albinos are chimeras?

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Hi,
No I do not. The paradox phase has been proven heritable in a number of species. If it were the result of a chimera, only the traits of one of the parents would be inherited, not both. I believe the paradox trait is linked to a disruption of the genes linked to either pattern or colour distribution. It has also been observed when there are spikes during incubation.

Warren

·
Registered
35,069 Posts
Hi,
No I do not. The paradox phase has been proven heritable in a number of species. If it were the result of a chimera, only the traits of one of the parents would be inherited, not both. I believe the paradox trait is linked to a disruption of the genes linked to either pattern or colour distribution. It has also been observed when there are spikes during incubation.

Warren
interesting, I wasn't aware that it had been proven heritable. That would indeed rule out chimera, it would also rule out incubation irregularities though. Although that not to say a similar effect is realised in that way.

What is the method is heritance?

·
Registered
107 Posts
this might sound stupid but can a corn snake have 2 dads im not talking about a cluch of corns haveing difrent dads im on about an individual corn snake having 2 dads as ive hered of chimera corn snake and is that what they are?
I have no problem with it and liberalists would certainly argue yes.

(How has wildlife warrior not been here and said that already)

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
interesting, I wasn't aware that it had been proven heritable. That would indeed rule out chimera, it would also rule out incubation irregularities though. Although that not to say a similar effect is realised in that way.

What is the method is heritance?
It has been proven heritable in Sand boas and a line of Boa constrictors. Not all paradox snakes have been proven heritable, therefore some may be somatic genetic anomalies and some may be due to incubation issues.
Warren

·
Registered
824 Posts
Chimeraism is when a single creature has two different sets of DNA.

Like the women who had her kids remvoed from her because she was not the "biololgical parent" but then found out that the kids matched the DNA of her liver. She had never had a transplant before someone sujests that.

·
Registered
1,911 Posts
Discussion Starter #20

Warren
oh i know that spliting of an egg is identicle twins and ferterlisasion of 2 difrent eggs would be non identicle.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts