Reptile Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,can anyone tell me where I can get a giant iguana from we want one as a baby. This is for my husband who really wants one. :2thumb:

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
Toys r us:)

·
Registered
283 Posts
Green iguanas grow pretty big, males have been know to grow up to 7ft including the tail. It should be relatively easy to pick up a baby red or green iguana from a pet shop/rescue/classified on here. Lots of people want rehome when they can't deal with them not taming down, or realise the baby is outgrowing it's 3ft viv (amongst other changes in circumstances).

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
What's the Latin name? I've never heard of "giant iguana" used as a common name before.
Hi sorry not to sure my husband wants one that grows really big.

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Green iguanas grow pretty big, males have been know to grow up to 7ft including the tail. It should be relatively easy to pick up a baby red or green iguana from a pet shop/rescue/classified on here. Lots of people want rehome when they can't deal with them not taming down, or realise the baby is outgrowing it's 3ft viv (amongst other changes in circumstances).
Thanks for that, so do they go by colour then as my husband does want a green one are they the biggest ?:blush:

·
Registered
283 Posts
I've not read up much on other types of iguanas, but I understand rhino and desert iguanas (2 of the other commonly kept species) tend to be smaller than the greens and reds. Green (and red) iggys you're looking at between 5 and 7 ft for a fully grown one (females tend to be a bit smaller than males).

You will need a very large viv/spare room before too long. You're looking at one an absolute minimum of 6ft high, 8ft long by 4ft wide for a smaller female. Ideally bigger than this, it's impossible to give them too much space. They're difficult lizards to care for and can inflict serious injuries (especially during breeding season, people have lost fingers to iggy bites). Not trying to put you off, they're fascinating and beautiful lizards, just if your husband is just wanting a big lizard there may be other species out there worth considering.

Staka's linked you to the iguana thread on here which is full of valuable info and lots of knowledgeable keepers post regularly on there. Also worth looking at Green Iguana Society.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts