Reptile Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello
I was recently given two juvenile leopard geckos, I have read up on them and seem to be be doing a good job as they are both thriving.
However I am slightly worried because the smaller one often misses it's target and ends up with a small amount of calci sand in its mouth.
They came with the calci sand as a substrate i would personally have gone for corn granules, do you think i should change to corn granules anyway.
thanks.
p.s. this is my first post.

·
Premium Member
15,027 Posts
Calci sand it a big no no no no for all Lizard substrates! As said above it doesn't look pretty but get them onto some kitchen roll asap.... When they are bigger put them onto slate or repti grass - thats what I got and looks cool!

·
Registered
146 Posts

Im not a leo keeper but i own a young beardy and i think you should use kitchen towel until the leos are bigger. Personally im not a fan of any sand and wouldnt keep any reptile on it.

·
Premium Member
15,027 Posts
Linos good... I wouldn't use sand with and gecko. Leos are from rocky regions (Iran etc..) not deserts so sand isn't a natural substrate. It will eventually cause impaction.

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
sand will not always lead to impaction, its if they consume it by eating some along with their livefood. I use calci sand for my beardie, people will nag me saying what on earth am i doing but i know whats best for my rep.

but with leos its a different story. Am i right in saying leos will search and consume substances containing calcium if they are deprivde of it? Yeh so calci-sand would be a much risky with leos especially if they eat too much of it :?

Linos good, but my m8 uses atroturf which has proved very good. He simply ordered some free samples of the internet :)

·
Registered
191 Posts
:evil: :evil: Calci sand is the work of the Devil. Kills lizards. :evil: :evil: Avoid like the plague. I use Zoo Med Cage Carpet. Soft surface, easy to clean, 2 in each pack so you can clean one while using the other, comes in 3 colours, no loops to catch little toes in, prey can't get under it when fitted, cuts to fit all vivs. Lino & astroturf are good too. Good luck!

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
calci-sand is not all that bad, i would still not use it for your leo, but most people say its a killer when most do not have any general exprience with it, they are just going on what they've read and been told.

In my case, used calci-sand with my first bd, fine but was told it would be safer and cheaper with play sand, next thing you know, my beardies dead from impaction :(

use same home-made calci-sand (made by this women in a pet shop in the wirral, not cheap reptil company kak) and my beardies lived on it happy as larry :) no problems what so ever (she's now lived on it near 6 months)

·
Banned
4,175 Posts
Not sure about bds, but you are right with the leos, they will seek calcium out if they need it, so will eat the calci sand.

DONT use it for leos at all !!

Juvies are best on paper towel or lino or slate tile

Adults can be kept on play sand, but I dont personally like it that much, to many bits to get in eyes !!

·
Premium Member
15,027 Posts
Neonius said:
calci-sand is not all that bad, i would still not use it for your leo, but most people say its a killer when most do not have any general exprience with it, they are just going on what they've read and been told.

In my case, used calci-sand with my first bd, fine but was told it would be safer and cheaper with play sand, next thing you know, my beardies dead from impaction :(

use same home-made calci-sand (made by this women in a pet shop in the wirral, not cheap reptil company kak) and my beardies lived on it happy as larry :) no problems what so ever (she's now lived on it near 6 months)
How old was your Dragon Neo? If it was still a small one i.e. under 12" they can have compaction problems on any sand type.

Also whats the home made calci sand? How is it made? interested!

Also it might be worth noting that impaction can occur over a large period of time... 6 mths doesn't mean its not getting impacted. Dragons are generally fine on sand as they live on it in a natural environment as well. Mine are fully grown and live on play sand, have had no problems but the buggers do tend to drag some into there salad bowl so I keep an eye on that

·
Registered
95 Posts
i used to use calci sand, personally i never had a problem with it, but i changed to desert sand beacuse ts cheaper, in a bigger bag and it generally looks better!

·
Registered
399 Posts
calci sand

Hi i very confused now, i always thought play sand was the ultimate evil and calci sand was ok.My vet thinks this way to as she sees more probs with play sand than calci.I use soil with mine and the all seem really happy on it.

·
Banned
4,175 Posts
Re: calci sand

spit said:
Hi i very confused now, i always thought play sand was the ultimate evil and calci sand was ok.My vet thinks this way to as she sees more probs with play sand than calci.I use soil with mine and the all seem really happy on it.
Your vet may not have seen many cases, thats not to say they are not there.

Ask her to do some research on how leos react with calcium, and the effects of sand, any sand, in the gut. then ask her to put the two together.

I dont have a problem with play sand for the right species, but not for leos. and certainly not for young leos.

Iam not gona try to preach about this, its up to each one of us to process all the info available and to decide from that.

To anyone who thinks calci sand is ok for leos, i challange them to explain why. I have already put my case against it earlier in this thread.

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
welshgaz said:
Neonius said:

How old was your Dragon Neo? If it was still a small one i.e. under 12" they can have compaction problems on any sand type.

Also whats the home made calci sand? How is it made? interested!

Also it might be worth noting that impaction can occur over a large period of time... 6 mths doesn't mean its not getting impacted. Dragons are generally fine on sand as they live on it in a natural environment as well. Mine are fully grown and live on play sand, have had no problems but the buggers do tend to drag some into there salad bowl so I keep an eye on that
she was a good 15inches, about 9 months old when she first should signs that something was wrong, total of about 3-4weeks before she died.

and about home-made sand, i have no idea how lol she wouldn't tell me, she sells a good size bag for like 2quid so quite cheap.

·
Registered
399 Posts
calci sand

I agree with you about the leos as i have heard of cases but didn't realise it was bad for all lizards. I tend to stay away from any type of sand as i worried that this could happen and keep dishes of calcium in all my tanks so my animals can self dose if they want to.I find that soil tends to be the best and thankfully cheaper.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts