Reptile Forums banner
21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
33,246 Posts
And it continues.
I will be very happy to be corrected and proven wrong.
But your last post said that it would be available later in the week, now tomorrow??
The snakes were fed two days ago, so you are going to feed again tomorrow, film, and post the footage, is that correct?
The tongs again I query.
They are thick tipped, with a rough tip. Not quite sure how you can hold a snail egg in them without crushing the egg leaving a tiny slimy piece of mush that will just slip out of them.
Let's wait & see the video, shall we?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
And it continues.
I will be very happy to be corrected and proven wrong.
But your last post said that it would be available later in the week, now tomorrow??
The snakes were fed two days ago, so you are going to feed again tomorrow, film, and post the footage, is that correct?
The tongs again I query.
They are thick tipped, with a rough tip. Not quite sure how you can hold a snail egg in them without crushing the egg leaving a tiny slimy piece of mush that will just slip out of them.
Aquatic snails lay eggs in a cluster coated in a membrane that kinda beads up when out of the water to look almost like an orbee that just sits on the bottom tong.
Is tomorrow apart of a week or not that was not me trying to lie but not thinking when I Could feed them again had to look at the feeding log.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Ok, I have a video and even though I said I would upload it tomorrow I got it today the only reason I said tomorrow was I used to upload on an older computer and it would take the entire night to upload so here we have the videos one of feeding snails and their eggs and another shorter one with feeding leeches.

·
Registered
9,293 Posts
Ok, I have a video and even though I said I would upload it tomorrow I got it today the only reason I said tomorrow was I used to upload on an older computer and it would take the entire night to upload so here we have the videos one of feeding snails and their eggs and another shorter one with feeding leeches.
View attachment 351222
Fair play for actually uploading it, I personally would have let people wait for another week with how pushy and rude people were being with you on here!

Please do not use food colouring, if the garters are struggling to find the food then can you not just revert back to there normal diet and keep them on fish/rodents?

Sent from my EML-L29 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 · (Edited)
Fair play for actually uploading it, I personally would have let people wait for another week with how pushy and rude people were being with you on here!

Please do not use food colouring, if the garters are struggling to find the food then can you not just revert back to there normal diet and keep them on fish/rodents?

Sent from my EML-L29 using Tapatalk
Yes, I wasn't planning on using food coloring was mainly interested if there was a dye I could use? As you could see, they smell the eggs, but for reasons unknown, maybe the lack of color would stop eating and continue searching for the eggs. This also is not part of their staple diet mainly just used as occasional treats. Except the leeches they are more common in their diet.

·
Registered
567 Posts
@ian14 You really need to calm down. You are extremely pushy and seem to be very quick in judging people. Telling people they are plain wrong without listening to their argument (and you've done that to myself too), should use google or demand proof might work in a different setting, but not on a public forum that has 12.5M posts where even the search can be hit and miss.

·
Registered
33,246 Posts
@ian14 You really need to calm down. You are extremely pushy and seem to be very quick in judging people. Telling people they are plain wrong without listening to their argument (and you've done that to myself too), should use google or demand proof might work in a different setting, but not on a public forum that has 12.5M posts where even the search can be hit and miss.
Moreover, in this case the OP proved not to be trolling.

·
Registered
8,950 Posts
Moreover, in this case the OP proved not to be trolling.
True.... but how many times of late have similar "suspected" troll type posts suddenly stop dead when asked for photographic proof of what the newbie OP claims.

I too thought that this was a wind up. Most of my research (granted it was several decades ago) never suggested snails as a food source, most suggesting the traditional fish, worms, toads, frogs and tadpoles as being the normal natural diet, with pinkies thrown in for those in captivity. But the OP has tried offering a different food source, and has documented the results. We can't really argue with that.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
I think I have found a better way instead of making the egg sack have color. What about adding animal-based unflavored gelatin to give the eggs more of a feeling so the snake is completely aware it is in their mouths?

·
Registered
10,244 Posts
Yes, I wasn't planning on using food coloring was mainly interested if there was a dye I could use? As you could see, they smell the eggs, but for reasons unknown, maybe the lack of color would stop eating and continue searching for the eggs. This also is not part of their staple diet mainly just used as occasional treats. Except the leeches they are more common in their diet.
Or maybe because its not something they nor.ally eat they simply don't recognise it as a meal??
Snakes are not visual hunters, they hunt by scent. And if they are not eating the eggs then that surely should be telling you that they do not recognise these eggs as food.
So as far as I can see, you are determined to get a snake to eat something that it doesnt want to by using some form of dye??

·
Registered
169 Posts
i just wouldnt worry about the eggs. i could see the young of smaller snakes being happy to take slugs and things in the wild, possibly occasionally as adults, though i would imagine that would drop off as they grow and are able to handle the more normal prey. if they are not keen enough to persist with looking for the eggs then i would just read that as they dont want it. as its not a fundamental part of a diet i would not fight to use it.
if you need to start adding artificial or completely alien (i.e dye/gelatin) things to the food then its not worth it.

·
Registered
9,293 Posts
I agree with the above posts, why keep trying so hard for them to eat these eggs? If they don't want to eat them, just give them the normal diet they would eat.

Reactions: wilkinss77

·
Registered
33,246 Posts
I think I have found a better way instead of making the egg sack have color. What about adding animal-based unflavored gelatin to give the eggs more of a feeling so the snake is completely aware it is in their mouths?
It'll either eat them 'as is' or it won't. Farting around with dyes, flavouring etc just isn't worthwhile for something only fed as an occasional treat.

·
Registered
567 Posts
It'll either eat them 'as is' or it won't. Farting around with dyes, flavouring etc just isn't worthwhile for something only fed as an occasional treat.
Whilst I agree to some extent, there ARE situations where you need to help by farting around :) Remember there are situations where you end up scenting rats or mice with different smells to get them off a certain food item. Like snakes addicted to say chicks but should eat mice where mice tend to be scented with chicks.

Anyway, I know what you mean and in this case eggs aren't a natural food item so yea - give them what they want, not what you want :)

Garter eat small rodents, fish, inverts and amphibians in the wild. Not eggs :)

I just read the occasional (pet shop bought) earth work will do too.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I was wondering if I could add food coloring or something else to snail eggs since my garter snakes love to eat them but cant see them since they are clear and is just a pain to feed them the eggs
Hi there , I would not in fact I would not colour any food for any pets , if there are hungry enough there will hunt them down I reckon

·
Registered
2,166 Posts
What a thread!! (no put down to the OP,meant the posts).I can't blame anyone shouting troll because when i saw the title i ignored it until now.

I'm glad when my snakes actually eat their basic diet nevermind using dye :).Like someone mentioned above Garters have a good varied diet so no point using dye.

21 - 38 of 38 Posts