Reptile Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi i was just wondering if i can feed my baby beardie(about 9 weeks old) a few wax worms,i was trying to find some small locusts but carn't find any small enough in the shop's near me,he/she doesn't seem interested in the crickets i have put in,it has eaten a few but not many to say i have had him/her over a week now,another question could i buy some calci worms and feed them to him/her only asking coz i read in another thread about them but don't know if mine is to young for them yet.any help would be great thanks

:notworthy:

·
Registered
22,890 Posts
You CAN but that doesn't mean you should. Waxworms are very high in fat - they're the equivalent of a plate of chips and a bowl of ice cream.

The "calci grubs" are better in terms of mineral and vitamin content, but if he's not interested in his crickets I'd be concerned that there might be something wrong with the temperatures - he might be too hot or too cold.

What is his basking temperature?

·
Registered
5,330 Posts
I personally didn't feed waxies at a young age because of their high fat content, i wanted to get him eating crix or locust before i introduced other live foods.

·
Registered
296 Posts
your beardie should be able to eat small locust because you can get them very small. check your temps are accurate also what are you feeding your crix it may affect the taste of the crix and he doesnt like them?

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
hi the temp seems ok to me its 110-115 at the basking spot 90 around the basking spot and 80 in the sool end,he/she has eaten a couple of crickets today so i will see how it goes i will try and order some small locusts and see if he/she likes those better i will not give he/she any waxworms then coz i don't want to hurt my baby.
i have been feeding the crickets cricket dust and lettice and carrots so they should be ok as i said i will try and get some small locusts in the next few days,i may also get some cali worms for a treat for him/her if he/she eats some of the locusts.
thanks for all your help and the fast replys

·
Registered
296 Posts
your also have to remember that some beardies can take longer to settle in than others so i would give him/her another week with no handling and see how it goes from there.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Try this web sit they also do small locust

Hi i pay £7.20 for 500 or £13.50 for 1000 large crickets with free p&p
£7.50 for 1000 small/medium with free p&p for crickets
and morio worms 250g bag £8.00
Large Locust 50 Bag £9.00
Large Locust 100 Bag £14.50
Extra Large Locust 50 Bag £10.50
Extra Large Locust 100 Bag £16.50
if you pay an extra £1 they send it registered derlivery
try this web site i have found them very reliable with a 30 day no quibble guarantee
Welcome to the Livefood Warehouse
all next day if order befor 1pm

·
Banned
14,611 Posts
I use these guys on ebay for livefood, not the cheapest ive found, but service and quality second to non.

Also i wouldnt let the temp on that basking creep as high as 115 i'd say no higher than 110 to be on the safe side. But there again thats only my personal opinion:blush: I run my Beardie at around the 107 mark.

Edit, opps sorry link.............

eBay.co.uk Shop - Medusa Exotics: live food: reptile vivarium live food mini mealworms

·
Registered
135 Posts
The occasional wax worm will not harm your beardie. I fed my beardie waxworms from a young age as a treat - they are an excellent source of moisture but as said, they are fatty. Locusts are fantastic - my beardie started refusing crickets several months ago (can't say I blame him:lol2:) and i started using locusts as a staple and have never looked back. He is nearly 14 months old and is in excellent health. You can get very tiny locusts but personally, I wouldn't get them too small. Locusts are soft bodied unlike crickets. I use extra large for my beardie and he manages them fine. Obviously I'm not saying use extra large for a baby but you can go slightly bigger than the crickets you would use.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
wow! hey thanks guy's for all the answers i have just bought some locust that should be small enough so will try them later on,and let you know how it goes if it goes ok with the locusts i wont bother giving him the waxworms.i say him coz i have decided its a boy for now till i can tell which sex it is. lol,he has been eating better the past few days so hopfully he will go mad for these freaky looking things thanks again

1 - 12 of 12 Posts