Reptile Forums banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
2,741 Posts
OK, so I am looking for snakes that get large, but not to the point where they become dangerous for one person to handle, that one person is a 6 feet man with average build.

Thanks.
Male boas
Indigo snakes
Blood pythons
Black headed pythons
King rat snake
Carpet pythons
Maklotts Python
Vietnamese Blur Beauty (slender but long)
Cribos
Woma Pythons
Honduran Milk snake

·
Registered
308 Posts
All of them if you are savvy.
I had a 14 ft Burm get iffy, and it wasn't too much a problem.
Depends if you grow with the snake and if you are a cretin, imo.
It is a snake after all, not a conniving rocket scientist.
Lol.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
All of them if you are savvy.
I had a 14 ft Burm get iffy, and it wasn't too much a problem.
Depends if you grow with the snake and if you are a cretin, imo.
It is a snake after all, not a conniving rocket scientist.
Lol.
I would probably not have enough courage to handle a 14 ft Burm on my own, but I would have a go at 11 ft one at max.

Didn't you have problems when you were cleaning it's cage, or changing water or spot cleaning his cage?

·
Registered
10,636 Posts
I would probably not have enough courage to handle a 14 ft Burm on my own, but I would have a go at 11 ft one at max.

Didn't you have problems when you were cleaning it's cage, or changing water or spot cleaning his cage?
In which case, how about a dwarf burm? No more than around 6 foot usually.
Or dwarf Retics?
Males of most python and boa species are also smaller.
A male yellow anaconda will only reach around 6 foot.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Throw a towel over it.. Come on guys youre supposed to be the intelligent one in this encounter...
They really are not an issue if you think about what problem you may encounter.

·
Registered
10,636 Posts
Do you know where to find dwarf burms? they are rarely available for sale as far as I know.
The Internet is your friend for this.
Nothing quite as satisfying as taking the time and effort to track down something you really want, and eventually getting it.
Took me the best part of 20 years to find a pair of twin spotted rat snakes, then found two pairs!

·
Registered
4,064 Posts
I just Googled "cribo care sheet" there are multiple pages to sift through.
I got "About 1,190 results (0.76 seconds)"
might take a little longer to actually find a Cribo snake though, depending on your location

Given that that is a less common species some of the results might actually be interesting to read - it is often easier to find good information on the more unusual species on the internets.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I keep a nearly 8 foot male cribo, he's kept in a viv that's 7.5ft x 2ft x 2ft. But now i realised that he needs a deeper viv. So I am now building him a 7x3x2.5ft viv.
Damn, I did not know they need such large enclosures, it seems all the larger colubrid need tons of space compared to constrictor snakes, which is mainly because they are more active I guess.

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
Damn, I did not know they need such large enclosures, it seems all the larger colubrid need tons of space compared to constrictor snakes, which is mainly because they are more active I guess.
If you are thinking big snake, think big viv. Please don't stuff a large constrictor into a "smaller" enclosure (not saying you would, that's just the way your post above reads. :blush:)
Many people do keep large snakes in totally inadequate sized enclosures, but it doesn't make it the right way to go. Try and give your animal the "best" you can, rather that "adequate" enough.
I don't think there's anything wrong with your original question, especially on a reptile forum. That's where I would go for help with reptiles.
I bet for ever person who is confident and comfortable keeping a giant snake, there is one that wishes they'd never gotten involved. It's just that they're not the people who are shouting it from the roof tops. There are a great many people who keep giants or venomous, very successfully, but I'm not one of them. Neither group is particularly "user friendly" and I would imagine that someone who is not totally committed to them, might soon find them a bind, if not actually intimidating.
You might not. Good luck : victory:

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
If you are thinking big snake, think big viv. Please don't stuff a large constrictor into a "smaller" enclosure (not saying you would, that's just the way your post above reads. :blush:)
Many people do keep large snakes in totally inadequate sized enclosures, but it doesn't make it the right way to go. Try and give your animal the "best" you can, rather that "adequate" enough.
I don't think there's anything wrong with your original question, especially on a reptile forum. That's where I would go for help with reptiles.
I bet for ever person who is confident and comfortable keeping a giant snake, there is one that wishes they'd never gotten involved. It's just that they're not the people who are shouting it from the roof tops. There are a great many people who keep giants or venomous, very successfully, but I'm not one of them. Neither group is particularly "user friendly" and I would imagine that someone who is not totally committed to them, might soon find them a bind, if not actually intimidating.
You might not. Good luck : victory:
I know how large enclosures constrictors need, it's just that I did not know that colubrids require larger enclosures than constrictors of the same size.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts