Reptile Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

Just wondering whether i could move to sand yet. My beardie is around 4-5 months old now and i really dislike the rubbish look of the newspaper. He/she is around 13-15 inches.

Thanks

Hugh:mf_dribble:

·
Registered
513 Posts
you can take the risk really you should wait for around 6 - 8 months because they can eat the sound and get stomach issues. Also its a mess when you get them out, when you pick him up he'll have loads of sand stuck to him which will make a mess. But it's upto you.

Josh

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
so should i still you sand when he reaches 6-8 months? what substrate d'ya recommend?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,547 Posts
kitchen roll, lino, tiles but pref not sand mine had a bit of sand (i was a newbie) when i 1st got her at 8 months, and she thought it was food, luckily i stayed home that day otherwise she may not be here now, it might look pretty but imagine how pretty the viv would look with no beardie in it, play safe mate, stick to the above, hope that helps x

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yeah. But isn't sand in their natural climate. they live in australia, and plus the bearded dragon manual says 'in 40 years of keeping bearded dragons they haven't had an incident of impaction.

Anyways i will wait a couple of months and see how he is.

Thanks

·
Super Moderator
9,455 Posts
I have used sand for my uro's and beardies without problems. I usually feed from a bowl though to lessen sand ingestion. But I would not advise sand until at least 6 months old so I would wait another month or so yet. Use children's play sand as that is nice and fine. Do not use calci-sand as it is not as digestible as they say it is.

·
Registered
5,551 Posts
yeah. But isn't sand in their natural climate. they live in australia, and plus the bearded dragon manual says 'in 40 years of keeping bearded dragons they haven't had an incident of impaction.

Anyways i will wait a couple of months and see how he is.

Thanks
Apparently they live in compact clay/soil areas and arid grasslands. There is always a risk with loose substrates and adults can deal with digesting it most of the time, not so much young Beardies. It can ruin the digestive track though but sand has less risk than bark substrates. I use vinyl tiles with a layer of kitchen roll on top. Some people use it with a thin layer of sand on top.

·
Registered
1,547 Posts
the sand in the natural habitat is soft clay like sand that is not loose, all different books tell u all sorts of things, the best ppl to ask are the people who keep the reps, by all means try sand a t a later date but try something like play sand, and watch for her/him eating it, but my personal opinion is not to use it x

·
Registered
1,547 Posts
Apparently they live in compact clay/soil areas and arid grasslands. There is always a risk with loose substrates and adults can deal with digesting it most of the time, not so much young Beardies. It can ruin the digestive track though but sand has less risk than bark substrates. I use vinyl tiles with a layer of kitchen roll on top. Some people use it with a thin layer of sand on top.

ya bet me to it hahaha x

·
Banned
939 Posts
iv used sand for both of my beardies since they were around 2months old i thought id take the risk and try it out, any way had no problems with them eatin it wat so ever get the odd grain now and again but thats it play sand all the way for me, i also dont like tiles and linoo i think they deserve more of a attractive enclosure, as they love the sand to digg and they cant do much with linoo :2thumb:

·
Registered
101 Posts
Just to point out about sand, saying "oh its their natural habitat" is true yes but in the wild they die from impaction aswell, im not saying dont use it just be prepared, and keep an eye out for any problems.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts