Reptile Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

i lost my snake my wee corn snake recently, she's only about 4/5 months old, and i'm quite worried for her, luckily she ate just 2 days before i realised she was missing.
i've been looking up different ways to find a missing snake, and after searching EVERYWHERE, i'm finally going to make traps... because i'm on quite a tight budget being a student and all, i found that chicks were quite cheap, so i bought 50 of them so i can make bottle traps, and today, when they arrived i found that they are not as small as i anticipated...

is there any chance i could maybe put the legs from the chicks in the trap? will those attract my snake just as much as a chick actually would?

any advise at all would be appreciated, thanks

·
Registered
3,679 Posts
dont see why not as long as the prey item attracts the snake then give it a go,
check all the warm dark places such as the back of the fridge etc,
if you have lino or floorboards then put a bit of flour down overnight as you might just see a trail in the morning of where the snake has been going,
good luck mate:no1:

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
Mash 'em into the bottles. That's sure to increase the smell and therefore the likelihood of attracting the snake.

·
Registered
1,949 Posts
I'm sorry, and please don't take this the wrong way, but why not just buy 1-2 mice? I'm sure that would be better than having 50 chicks you now somehow need to use up? And if your budget is so tight, how can you afford to feed the snake mice normally? I'm not trying to be mean, just wondering.

I can't see anything wrong with using a chick in the bottle, not all snakes like chicks though (Our male royal will begin to eat it, then decide he doesn't want it and spit it out)

·
Registered
556 Posts
Amy is right. No need to fill your home with 50 chickens. Snakes find food in the wild and they will find it from your apartment too if they're interested.

So make it smelly. Smash the head of the mouse or the chicken and wait. I'd also use the item your snake is most used to eating. You could also spread some flour around the traps so you can tell if the snake has been around.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts