·
Registered
1,423 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
can i use play sand in my BD's viv :smile:

·
Registered
8,227 Posts
You can use it, but there is a risk of impactation.
It definitly shouldnt be used with babies though.
I would recommend tiles or paper. Safer, easier to clean and more hygenic.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Sand is a pain in the behind...

As Catherine896 said, there's an impaction risk, but that can be avoided if you're careful or feed outside of the viv. The biggest pain is it gets everywhere! under the glass / in the runners is a particular bind as it makes them stick and you get a lovely "nails on a blackboard" noise when you open the doors. It's also a right expletive to deal with when it comes to cleanliness.

TBH, I started out using the stuff and junked that idea pretty quickly just because it's too much hassle.

·
Registered
8,227 Posts
Yeah I hate that noise... I have a viv that used to have sand in (before I had the viv) and even now it still makes that sound when I open the doors, grrr!! I think sand smells aswell lol.

·
Banned
61,457 Posts
i've got sand for my collared cos they like digging.
Newspaper for the royal although i'll be changing it to bark chippings when i can be bothered
sand for the geckos - adults.
tile and laminate flooring for the beardie - using what i had left. Laminate is a bit slippy so i put slates there as well to climb and walk on.

·
Registered
93 Posts
We have Sand in our BD viv we have used sand since we got him and we haven't had a problem at all... I think it looks good and i find it easy to clean. We have yellow desert sand and Mushu loves it. We haven't used anything else and i dnt think we will. In my opinion if you are going to get sand stay away from the brand T-REX its not very good for them.

Amy .

·
Registered
20,375 Posts
Im one of the few in favour of sand for beardies. Mine have been on it since babies, no problems at all and I tried almost every kind of substrate, sand came out on top for me.

As for it being hard to clean.. how? I have a sand scoop which picks the poo up and leaves lovely clean sand behind. I wouldn't use anything else.

·
Registered
8,227 Posts
Im one of the few in favour of sand for beardies. Mine have been on it since babies, no problems at all and I tried almost every kind of substrate, sand came out on top for me.

As for it being hard to clean.. how? I have a sand scoop which picks the poo up and leaves lovely clean sand behind. I wouldn't use anything else.

The sand will go through the scoop but will still hold bacteria and germs all over it.

·
Registered
484 Posts
we have used play sand for our 2 beardies who are adults for about the last 6 months with no problem they love to have a dig the only problem i find is that it does get in the runners of the glass if you arnt careful although the vacumm soon sucks it up.. but i wouldnt use it for babies...

·
Registered
93 Posts

I Couldn't Agree More!!

We have been Fine with sand and its looks great :p

1 - 12 of 12 Posts