Reptile Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
im lookin at getting some bigger pieces of wood for my snakes viv, but cant seem to get any from my pet shop big enough can i use wood from gardens or forests or does it have to be pet shop wood. is there a way that i can treat the wood then put it in my viv?

·
Registered
308 Posts
how long does the wood need tobe frozen for

·
Registered
811 Posts
Go to B& Q or Wickes and gets ome cut

They do sheets of all diff types of wood for about £10 onwards, depending on material and thickness.

I built a 5ft x 3ft viv with one sheet, for about £16 which was about 7ft long x 5ft wide so you could get a couple of sheets and cut to size you need!

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
Go to B& Q or Wickes and gets ome cut

They do sheets of all diff types of wood for about £10 onwards, depending on material and thickness.

I built a 5ft x 3ft viv with one sheet, for about £16 which was about 7ft long x 5ft wide so you could get a couple of sheets and cut to size you need!
lol he means decor wood

·
Registered
57 Posts
I had this issue trying to find something for my CWD. The pet shop I get all his bits from told me to steam/sterilise the wood. I basically half filled a bath with boiling water and left it in there for about 15 minutes. That was a few months ago and it seems fine!

·
Registered
4,320 Posts
Cut fresh wood from your garden, or use freshly fallen wood from local woods/parks etc.
Remove the bark to get rid of any critters or pollution and give it a good scrub and a wash with a hose pipe. Then leave to dry for a couple of weeks at least. Baking/freezing/bleaching is OK but a bit impractical, and IMO unnecessary.

If you really want petshop wood I've seen some big bits at shirley aquatics, and the garden centre just off the m6 near newport. Can't remember what it's called. But it's expensive.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts