Reptile Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
He LOVES mealworms. I gave him 2 crickets and offered him more he would deny them. I put down 10 mealworms and there gone in 20 seconds. Is this ok if I feed him meal worms for now on?
Right now I have them in a kricket keeper with sand and they just dig, can i throw a few carrots in LOL and will they be fine? What do i put mealies on so I can properly gutload them

·
Registered
3,705 Posts
Mealworms are best kept on bran. As for carrots <_< I wouldn't for the mealies, crickets yes worms no. My aunt breeds them for her birds and feeds hers on slices of moist granery / seedy bread. They are thriving :sick:
As for feeding only mealies... Noooo.
I wouldn't give anything only one type of live food, they need variety.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I ksut changed the mealies into a kitchen paper wet towel as there substrate and i had carrots layed out

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
don't feed only mealworm, they are not good for beardies I only give 1 or 2 very occasionally as a treat. They can become if it won't eat crix try locust it mat just of got bored with crix

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
Get them off wet paper mate....put them in either bran or porridge oats .....if kept too moist you run the risk of mite infestation !!
Feed them on brown bread as said above and even mix calcium/vitamin powder wth the bran to allow them to injest it while feeding

·
Registered
3,705 Posts
Wet paper is worse than sand to be honest.
They don't appreciate wet very much, in fact I find most of the commonly used live foods don't.
Oats/bran are cheap and you prob have some in the kitchen anyway.

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
as for feeding yer beardies....give them a bit of variety , both in their veg and in live foods....we give ours large black crickets, turk roaches, dubia roaches and locusts on different days and yes , even pop a few large mealies in with their veg occasionally for the fun of watching them try to hunt them out from amongst the greens, lol.....definately don't use them as a sole diet though !!!

·
Registered
8,925 Posts
If your beardie is big enough, give him some morios. They're nutritionally OK and beardies like them. Keep up the variety though. How would you fancy getting the same thing every day?
First sensible question from you for a while. Keep it up!

·
Registered
12,922 Posts
No, no and no...

Mealworms have a hard chichin shell which makes them hard for a bearded dragon to digest.

Better feeders are roaches, locusts, crickets and silk worms.

·
Registered
3,951 Posts
Frank, mealies aren't the best food for beardies really. As has been said before, they have a high shell to meat ratio, and beardies can find it difficult to digest the shell. As Rex is still so young I really don't think it's a good idea to only feed him meal worms. Have you tried putting crickets in the fridge for a while so they slow right down then mix them in with a few meal worms. He should eat some with the worms. Once he realises how tasty the crickets are he should eat them without needing to mix them with worms.

·
Registered
463 Posts
No, no and no...

Mealworms have a hard chichin shell which makes them hard for a bearded dragon to digest.

Better feeders are roaches, locusts, crickets and silk worms.
Yet another myth I'm afraid....read the PRK article from May, crickets infact have a higher chitin:protein ratio. Mealworms are fine for beardies in moderation, just use a bit of common sense. Variety is the key

·
Registered
2,633 Posts
ive recently started feeding my 20 mth old beardie mealies as a treat about once a week just to add some variety to her locust and dubia diet.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
ok ill do mealies and crickets and ill buy some oats from petco tomorrow

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
i live in us so i cant feed locusts i will try crickets and mealworms also i am happy to say that rex is eating his veg so it wont be a pain in the butt to try to get hm to

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
also the oats are just substrate right? they dont eat them or anything?

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
umm.. ok?:blush:

·
Registered
3,090 Posts
Oats are oats......you can buy them from supermarkets.

Porridge oats Frank...do you not have them in the US? :whistling2:

1 - 20 of 26 Posts