Reptile Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my mum has had her royal python for around 3 months, and i was woundering when we get it sexed, could we put anoither one with it and permanatley house them together? many thanks tom

·
Registered
726 Posts
I wouldn't but some people might you'd need to get it at the same size and separate them for feeding. Also its easier to see who's pooed and if one gets mites then the other will etc etc best to keep them apart really.

·
Premium Member
5,743 Posts
my mum has had her royal python for around 3 months, and i was woundering when we get it sexed, could we put anoither one with it and permanatley house them together? many thanks tom

It is advisable to house snakes seperately at all times except when breeding, This is so that you reduce the risk of multiple illnesses (ie if one is ill then the other has less chance of getting it, and also prevents double vets bills)

·
Banned
1,685 Posts
It is advisable to house snakes seperately at all times except when breeding, This is so that you reduce the risk of multiple illnesses (ie if one is ill then the other has less chance of getting it, and also prevents double vets bills)
i agree wi the sa secretary. :snake: :snake:

·
Registered
4,200 Posts
Yes - alone. There is a post somewhere with a graphic pic of one snake having eaten another (either a BP or a boa, I think it was BP) - both of them died :(

I know people who do keep snakes together but it can be stressful as they both compete for the favorite basking spot, and stress could mean one doesn't eat.

·
Registered
2,802 Posts
Yes - alone. There is a post somewhere with a graphic pic of one snake having eaten another (either a BP or a boa, I think it was BP) - both of them died :(

I know people who do keep snakes together but it can be stressful as they both compete for the favorite basking spot, and stress could mean one doesn't eat.

It was a BP, and it was nasty!

I would never keep 2 together, unless they came from a rescue centre and had always been housed together, but even then i would probably separate. For the sake of geeral health indicators...poo, shedding, fluid intake monitoring....mites etc etc, keep them apart.

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
that'll be this picture then ??

this shows a young royal, or ball, python, who has been housed with a "friend"

(snakes don't need "friends" )

in this case, both snakes died.. one from being eaten and the other from having too much in his belly to digest..

this next pic is the autopsy pic..

a few others.. this is a boa... who ate his "friend"

why do people keep young snakes together??? beats me..

this is just after he threw his "mate" up..

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
another, again a boa

i also know of rainbow boas who have eaten their cage mate.. and carpet pythons...

and also corns... you should just NOT keep two corns in one viv/tub at a young age..

here are some people snakes, who thought they could get away with it..

so... thats my position on keeping young two snakes of any sort together... one big fat huge NO !

Nerys

·
Registered
4,200 Posts
I've only seen the BP one before - BUT I know from experience that the hognose I currently have was previously housed with a male (which are a lot smaller than the females) and the shop "staff" (a garden centre that kept a few herps) were lucky enough to notice her "partner" part the way inside her (just his head I believe) and they managed to get him out.

I want to breed her this year and have my eye on an adult male, but shall make sure she is EXTREMELY well fed for a few feeds before I introduce her into his enclosure. Must admit the thought makes me nervous but I've been assured by several hog owners that it should be OK for them during breeding time - but once I've witnessed the lock-up a couple of times I think she'll be out of there for his safety.

Just a thought to the MODS - could this be a STICKY???

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
I agree completely agree with the sticky suggestion - I have never seen any pictures of snakes eating another before, and this is an excellent (and justifiably graphic) illustration of an important husbandary issue.. it's made my mind up on a point I was undecided on before. Thanks for taking the time to post this Nerys.

·
Registered
2,535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
thanks to every1 for posting and i like the pix:sick: :sick: . just shows what snakes can do to other snakes lol

1 - 15 of 15 Posts