Reptile Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have always been under the impression that snakes can't see red light.

Can anybody confirm this and back it up with and references.

I only ask because I have read a few threads about snakes not feeding when a red light is left on 24/7.

I can understand this if the bulb is a cheapo one that emits red light, but I paid £8 for mine and its a proper reptile (red glass) bulb.

I just wanted a defenite answer so I know whether to keep using my red light which is on 24/7 for heat.

thanks

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
i'm not sure too be honest, my corn used to have one, as i was in a freezing house, and it didnt affect him,

btw, sorry if i offended u on the new to snakes thread, but u didn specifiy which sub you ment,

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
serpentkid100 said:
i'm not sure too be honest, my corn used to have one, as i was in a freezing house, and it didnt affect him,

btw, sorry if i offended u on the new to snakes thread, but u didn specifiy which sub you ment,
It would be handy to get a deffo on the light cos I don't wanna be giving my JCP 24/7 light if its not good for him. He seems fine and feeds like a trooper but still want to know a concrete answer.

And no you didn't offend me before mate. Yes I should of mentioned the sub-species I was referring to. In all fairness though I still think that getting a rainbow boa as a first snake is biting off a bit too much as a starter snake.

Prehaps we should both shut up next time. lol lol. No hard feelings bud!

·
Premium Member
15,651 Posts
People say they dont but my snakes react to the red laser dot on my thermometer. One of them actuall y strikes at it and thats red. Maybe laser light is different to the bulbs light though. :D

·
Registered
6,229 Posts
There was a discussion on this a while ago in the equipment section. Personally I am inclined to think snakes CAN see red light.. I know fo no truly accurate anatomical reason why they shouldnt be able to.

There are also lots of annecdotal reports of snakes acting unusually under red light, so I would rather have true darkness than use a red bulb. Ceramic bulbs or rep radiators are my preferred heat souce anyway.

·
Registered
4,474 Posts
I allways thought that they could see it but they found it less offensive than white light - thats what i was taught anyway :?

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
reticulatus said:
I allways thought that they could see it but they found it less offensive than white light - thats what i was taught anyway :?
This what I've always thought too - obviously the dimmer the light, the less of a problem it's likely to be.

But would the colour of the inside of the viv and furnishings affect things?
In other words, would red light being reflected off a pale surface become a more visible colour of light?

·
Registered
4,474 Posts
Humans find white light more offensive than red. White light "burns" the eyes more.

It comes down to the wave length so i would suggest that it wont make any difference what surface it reflects off.

·
Registered
5,282 Posts
It comes down to the wave length so i would suggest that it wont make any difference what surface it reflects off.
thats right, red light has the longest wavelenght, so it is the easiest on the eye, i think that snakes can see it but as said it is less noticeable than normal colour light. its also notable that there is never total darkness in the wild, so a red light wouldnt do much eitherway IMO

it is notable also, that many boids can see infrered waves with their pits, so even if a ceramic/matt is used, they still can see the heat, in effect.
it is important to get infer-red blubs, rather than red coloured bulbs, becasue there is a differnt tecnique used in manurfacturing that means that normal red is alot brighter, and a differnt colour to the other type, and the infer-red is better.

for the record, i use red spots on dimmers 24-7, and i have 11w mini coils on timer for the day, so as not to have a great effect on the heating of the viv,but they are equivelent to a60w traditionl bulb in terms of lmens.

IMO if there is a significant differnce between the day and night brightnesses, which there will be in a room, the snake wont minmuch. afterall nocternal speices are awake in the day at times, and dieranl at night, sometimes

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Okay thanks for the help although I'm still not sure.

I think the conclusion is that snakes are aware of red light but they still notice a photoperiod by turning white light on and off.

My viv (16x12x12) is currently too small for a ceramic and I don't wanna use mats so will stick with my Infra red light for another month till he gets his new bigger viv.

·
Registered
859 Posts
There was a discussion on this a while ago in the equipment section. Personally I am inclined to think snakes CAN see red light.. I know fo no truly accurate anatomical reason why they shouldnt be able to.

There are also lots of annecdotal reports of snakes acting unusually under red light, so I would rather have true darkness than use a red bulb. Ceramic bulbs or rep radiators are my preferred heat souce anyway.
Royals and such snakes can sense heat through their snout pits so having a pitch black viv with a ceramic bulb will still show up to them.

·
Registered
5,282 Posts
i think so. on further thougth, ithik it would be better to use only mats at night, becasue the radient heat will appear as stated, like a sun. BUT if there is no visable ligh, the royal is more likely to think that it is a warm spot left by the day.

i think that i will change over my burm, when she moves, to rely on heatmats at night, and ceramics in the day(with a flouresent for photoperiod), just so i know that it is the best type of setup i can provide, with regards to the wild, where the floor wouldremain

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
But even with a heat mat under substrate a royal would still "see" it with the heat pits as it would be a warm area against a cool background.

I suppose the only way to provide heat at night with absolutely no disturbance would be to have no heat within the viv, but have the room heated to the required temp instead.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Royals and such snakes can sense heat through their snout pits so having a pitch black viv with a ceramic bulb will still show up to them.
With ceramics and radiators the heat would definitely show up via the pits (just as warm areas heated by the sun would show up after dark) but there'd be no visible light - as in light that they detect via their eyes - which would surely be the main thing that could disturb the day/night cycle.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts