Reptile Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
generally now... can lizards hear you talk and react to words and actions? can they sulk, be mad, moody, happy, be misbehaving too anno you for fun etc etc?

thanks

so far i'm thinking green iguana or a chameleon unless i see something as good looking (i know they are complex too keep, hence i will spend a year or two researching)

·
Banned
5,772 Posts
i sure know my bosc can hear me quite well, and he certainly shows me how he's feeling :lol: if he's angry he whips me with his tail :p

hard to care for animals dont neccessarily mean they arent for u, and i personally dont think doing ur homework for a year before u get one is a good idea either, because it still doesnt properly prepare u for one.

i suggest, and this is only my personal view, research what u want to get for 2 weeks, go to a pet shop and handle one, get the feel of it, ask a few questions to the owner or on here and verify everything u are unsure of and then just get one if u feel its right for u, if not, do the same with something else til u do find whats right.

once u have the animal, ur bound to realise there is something u dont know about, i learn something new all the time about our lot, but they dont suffer just because im weak on little bits of knowledge, as long as u know the strict basics, you'll be fine.

a dedicated, willing to learn keeper will be able to cope even without a years research, and more often than not, the one who thinks they know it all because they did a years research will be due for a big shock when they experience the real thing.

My opinion only, sure others will have their opinions too.

·
Registered
2,430 Posts
it was a good opinion blazey
do your research for a few weeks and have in mind when your looking which lizards to buy
what size they grow and have you enough room for a proper sized enclosure
what they need to be fed and will you mind handling crickets or dead mice
do you want a tame lizard that anyone can handle
and have you the time and money to care for one for many years
alot of people i talk to that no little about reptiles will always say a iguana or chameleon when talking about lizards dont just buy one because theyre so popular and thats all that comes to mind have a look around the forum and different websites
theres a lizard out there just for you

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thats a fair point blazey, thanks for the good reply, i still have some basics to learn, as you pointed out, i only like two types at the moment, when i find a good site with pictures of ones i will then venture out to a reptile shop and try to see one in the flesh... i guess a good book won't do any harm, can you suggest any?

thanks

·
Banned
5,772 Posts
i cant say i did much research with both my bosc and my cham before i got them, i just looked up what they needed, made my own opinion on the areas of debate and just listen to what other people do with their reptiles.

its not hard to pick up, though u definately need some sort of hands on experience before u decide u know enough by just reading, the feel of the animal to u is very important.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
yea, i'd hate to get a lizard i'm not comfortable or scared of, they seem to be quite intelligent for little green things, i already have a name, not even choosen the breed yet! hope xmas was good for you and your bosc.

·
Banned
5,772 Posts
well he has a sore toe and ive no money for the vet so trying to sort out a vet that helps with bills but dont get fast replies over xmas :p

·
Banned
5,772 Posts
he just has a cut toe and its bit scabby. one of his toe nails came off and it seems under the toe has some visable ligament or something. Its not looking too great but its not looking too terrible either but hopefully the vet will get in touch and let me know if he can come in.

·
Banned
5,772 Posts
my bosc shows affection to me. when i scratch his ears he bends his head towards me like a cat does. he often gives me hugs aswell but i always worry he's goin to bite me accidentally so i dont let him do that too often.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts