Reptile Forums banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all im just asking wether i should choose a Heat mat or a Bulb to heat My Leo and if so what wattage or size?

·
Registered
3,876 Posts
i use a heat mat for my leos.you dont need a bulb for leos as they absorb heat differntly then beardies.they have to have heat through their stomachs so this helps them digest their food easyier.you can use a bulb but you should put a flat peice of slate or sumit under it for them to lie on.but honestly its easier and much simpler to use a heat pad.you need one that covers 3/4 of the viv leaving a cooler end.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
3/4s!! woah thats alot ty though and do u have a UV strip light if so plz go onto Exotic pets and recommend me one PLZ! pretty plz

·
Registered
3,876 Posts
nope with leos you dont need one what so ever.crestys need them but leos dont

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok thanx But ill list the items i got for my 2-3 female leos ok and can you tell me what i should or shouldnt have?

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have got a 24x23x25" viv, A medium reptile cave, A small reptile den, a cricket rock feeder a worm dish and a UV desert light strip.
I know i need a water dish but i dont know what size Medium or small??

·
Registered
3,876 Posts
a basic viv set up need these main things.

heat mat to fit 1/2-3/4 of the viv

substrate-there are loads of different ones i.e.reptile sand,newspaper,repti-carpet,slate,marble,lino,tiles just make sure you never use playsand,calci sand or bark chippings

Hides-pretty much made out of anything,even a butter tub will do.you can of corse buy them with look a lot nicer.make sure you have one on the cool side and one on the warm side at the verry least

Moist hide-i use an old cricket tub filled with moss and just change it once in a while and spray it each night.

Calcium dish-simple-filled with calcium.

shallow water dish

Dish with a few meal worms in

then pretty much anything else to decorate the viv

·
Registered
3,876 Posts
i use just the lid off my tub of waxies to be honest because they always end up walking it all over the place making a mess.so have you bought your viv already?

·
Registered
3,876 Posts
yes that sounds about right to me.i use that one in my big viv and its about 3ft big.

·
Registered
3,876 Posts
well if your planning to have 3 females are you having juvies or adults.if you have juvies-babys-then you can get away with a 11x11 but when they grow you will have to buy a 17x17 one so they have plenty of room to themself

·
Registered
3,876 Posts
yeh that would be ok.you should get on ebay.they sell heat mats quite cheap and there all different sizes

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
nuttyaboutgeckos said:
nope with leos you dont need one what so ever.crestys need them but leos dont
well cresties are nocturnal, so also dont need UV.

good vitamin supplementation for your leos should suffice, and if you use UV, it wont do any harm and hopefully benefit your animals.

As for the suggestion of meal worms, ignore it until they are older if you are getting babies. crickets and hoppers are nutritionally better, and mealworms are hard to digest because of their chitlin content. Once they reach adult size, mealworms can be given as a treat, and also waxworms. butterworms and silkworms[/i]

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
nah its ok and so am i :D so how many hides roughly should i have for my 3 females
so far ive got a medium reptile cave and a small reptile den

·
Registered
3,876 Posts
well id say min 1 each.try getting those log hides at they are a bit bigger and my females just sit under it with plenty of room each under the same roof lol

1 - 20 of 36 Posts