Reptile Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi
I would just like to know if anyone has ever had to force feed their leopard gecko?

·
Banned
5,772 Posts
i had to force feed a bosc at work for a while and it wasnt a very nice thing to do. avoid it at all costs!

·
Premium Member
15,027 Posts
yeah you can if you think they are very skinny and not eating... You'd basically have to grind up something like waxies into a paste and feed them via a syringe. If a leo ever got in that shape you'd have to try get some fluid into them as well... preferably with some electrolytes in the water.

As stated though force feeding is always a last resort!

Why the interest? Out of pure interest or do you know a leo getting to this stage?

·
Banned
5,772 Posts
infact me and my mum tried to do it with a baby leo we got from pet shop but unfortunately it died even though it started doing really well.

·
Registered
13,846 Posts
Blazey said:
infact me and my mum tried to do it with a baby leo we got from pet shop but unfortunately it died even though it started doing really well.
That gecko should have been force fed long before we got him poor thing :(

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I do have a leo whos not eating shes only small and i have asked vets advice and they recommended hand feeding baby food through a syringe which i'm doing, but i wondered if you could do it with waxworms, mealworms etc. She is drinking as i have seen her. I have read a few threads where leos have gone off their food and alot have put it down to the weather, all 3 of mine have but was more worried about my little one as the other 2 are quite chunky nice fat tails.
Thanks all

·
Premium Member
15,027 Posts
if shes little and needs weight piling on grind up some waxies... I really wouldn't use mealies they are not very good nutritionally. You can even grind up crickets but make sure they are fairly watery, its not very nice but sometimes it gotta be done!

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks everyone i have managed to force feed her 1 waxworm but when we tried with a cricket she just spat it out, well i will keep at it. :D

·
Banned
5,772 Posts
watch out for getting her hooked on waxies though, will be even more a pain getting her off them when she starts feeding normally!

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks again but could i ask one more question (stupid really) but how do i grind up waxworms and crickets so that i can put it in a 1ml syringe.

·
Banned
5,772 Posts
i used a wooden peg :p some people do it in bulk in the blender though.

·
Registered
5,129 Posts
my leo's wont eat mealies or waxies from the bowl one will take it if i put it nears its mouth one will take it and spit it at me lol

hope this can help :shock:

·
Registered
4,123 Posts
best way i found is in a pestle and mortar....put in like 3 waxworms and about 3 crickets, a small amount of water a little bit of nutrobal and then grind away...is nasty but is works... :)
if you have no luck and your leo is getting thinner buy some critical care formula or use ensure...both are pretty good. (critical care from the vet, ensure from tesco.)

·
Banned
5,772 Posts
u could always try that milk stuff u give to kittens when they are abandoned by their parents :p

1 - 15 of 15 Posts