Reptile Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all ! :D

right a few questions haha;

1) can you keep a corn snake in a fish tank? and will it like it? (its growing, and the viv is getting too small)

2) depth/width (from front glass to back wall) is 14.5 inches (1.2 ft)
height (from top to bottom) is 16 inches (1.33333* ft)
Length (from left to right) is 23 inches (1.92 ft).

How many gallons is that?
as i want to get a big fish tank for my corn snake but want a big size than that.

(What gallon tank would you recommend?)

3) does it HAVE to have a light?

4) can you use a heat mat i have in the vivarium in the fish tank?

5) how would you secure the lid? and make sure it still breaths?

sorry there is so much questions, but saves me writing about 5 different posts.

Thanks in advance guys.

·
Registered
4,370 Posts
The volume is just over 19 gallons or 87 litres.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
he hasnt out grown it yet and he is just over a year old, (was underfeeding him as stupid pet shop told me to feed him pinkies at 8 months) but he's on smalls now so growing rapidly. just need to find a big tank to get him in

·
Registered
2,622 Posts
well it wont last him long. adult corn normally need a 4ft viv.

glass tanks cost more and cost more to rn as they lose most heat. so your better off getting a wooden viv

·
Registered
33,102 Posts
well it wont last him long. adult corn normally need a 4ft viv.

glass tanks cost more and cost more to rn as they lose most heat. so your better off getting a wooden viv
my adult male is in a 3' viv. & my pair of sinaloan milks, pair of crawl cay boas, & cali king, are all in 4' fish tanks- & they do fine, on the same statted bulbs/heat mats as my snakes in vivs.

·
Registered
9,236 Posts
Hi all ! :D

right a few questions haha;

1) can you keep a corn snake in a fish tank? and will it like it? (its growing, and the viv is getting too small)

2) depth/width (from front glass to back wall) is 14.5 inches (1.2 ft)
height (from top to bottom) is 16 inches (1.33333* ft)
Length (from left to right) is 23 inches (1.92 ft).

How many gallons is that?
as i want to get a big fish tank for my corn snake but want a big size than that.

(What gallon tank would you recommend?)

3) does it HAVE to have a light?

4) can you use a heat mat i have in the vivarium in the fish tank?

5) how would you secure the lid? and make sure it still breaths?

sorry there is so much questions, but saves me writing about 5 different posts.

Thanks in advance guys.
fish tanks are crap for keeping reptiles in in my opinion, i tried and it was just too hard to keep warm! plus its too open for them, wooden vivs make them feel nice and secure.
get yourself a nice viv or RUB.

No it doesn't need a light.

for a corn you can use either a heat mat or infra red bulb on a thermostat to keep it warm.:2thumb:

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
The main problem with glass and heat mats is the glass is highly likely to crack due to uneven heating. The glass is cold at one end and often pretty hot at the other depending on how it's set up. Fish tank glass doesn't respond well to a big difference in temp across it's surface. Personally I think you're better off using a bigger viv.

·
Registered
33,102 Posts
The main problem with glass and heat mats is the glass is highly likely to crack due to uneven heating. The glass is cold at one end and often pretty hot at the other depending on how it's set up. Fish tank glass doesn't respond well to a big difference in temp across it's surface. Personally I think you're better off using a bigger viv.
ain't happened in the 3 fish tanks i use.

·
Registered
3,297 Posts
Kept my corn in a 3ft fish tank for 10 years and she did just fine, escaped a few times though, live and learn, she's 13 now.

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
ain't happened in the 3 fish tanks i use.
Yeah I've realised my error :bash:lol. glass is likely to crack under rapid and inconsistent heating or cooling, the glass thickness counts for a lot too... heat mats are pretty slow compared with the glass thickness...

I was given a tank a while back with a cracked bottom and a new pane siliconed inside, I assumed it was due to expansion, maybe it wasn't.: victory:

·
Registered
167 Posts
fish tanks are crap for keeping reptiles in in my opinion, i tried and it was just too hard to keep warm! plus its too open for them, wooden vivs make them feel nice and secure.
get yourself a nice viv or RUB.

No it doesn't need a light.

for a corn you can use either a heat mat or infra red bulb on a thermostat to keep it warm.:2thumb:
I'd disagree. Firstly a RUB would likely be clear anyway...:whistling2: but I don't think its fair for a snake not to have light, the key to all proper animal keeping is to allow them to carry out any and all natural behaviours that they would perform in the wild. I'd be pretty stressed out if i spent my life in the dark. I guess what you mean is that it doesn't need a lamp? this is true aslong as natural or light from the room can enter the vivarium. Corns are pretty bog standard in terms of snake care, hence they are so good for beginners. I'd say theres no need for a thermo stat neccessarily, aslong as the temperature doesnt exceed 21-30C at the one end and remains at room temp at the other.

Hope this hasn't confused you!:2thumb:

·
Registered
632 Posts
just build him a viv , you can build a 4x2x2 viv for about £40, my adult corns are in 3x2x2 vivs and they are perfectly fine in them.

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
So you guys who've used aquariums for a while what kinda substrate did you use? Did the snakes always shed well? And... um...did you provide moist hides?

I've kept 2 snakes in open top glass tanks with aspen and found there to be low humidity issues which resulted in poor shedding. Rehousing in rubs and ditching aspen solved this for me.

·
Registered
33,102 Posts
So you guys who've used aquariums for a while what kinda substrate did you use? Did the snakes always shed well? And... um...did you provide moist hides?

I've kept 2 snakes in open top glass tanks with aspen and found there to be low humidity issues which resulted in poor shedding. Rehousing in rubs and ditching aspen solved this for me.
well, my tanks have sliding glass tops, with a section of drilled hardboard at one end. i use dried out eco earth for all my snakes. & they all shed fine. how did you manage to stop the snakes getting out of open topped tanks?

·
Registered
167 Posts

Ive never had shedding problems on aspen, with any of my snake species... for corns keep the humidity at 50%, you can always whack a water bowl over the heat mat to increase humidity by 10% or so... or cover some of the ventilation : victory:

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
well, my tanks have sliding glass tops, with a section of drilled hardboard at one end. i use dried out eco earth for all my snakes. & they all shed fine. how did you manage to stop the snakes getting out of open topped tanks?
well the tank itself is a 3' x 18"(high) x 12". the guy I got it off made a batten frame to go round the top and just meshed it over. When I say open topped I don't mean it had no lid lol, it was just exposed to air if you know what I mean. So basically the internal humidity would only be same as it was outside no matter where the water bowl was.

I put my young boa in a small faun when I first got her. It had a draw like top that was meshed, she was the one with the worst shed problem.

·
Registered
2,439 Posts
Heat rises so If your top is only mesh you will lose heat more quickly
During winter simply cover most of the mesh with a piece of plywood or similar
That will help maintain temperature a lot and also increase humidity as required when close to shedding

1 - 20 of 24 Posts