Reptile Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi you can tellwether a snake is stressed or not cant you,by looking into simple things like if the snake is being more aggresive than usual, not shedding properly, refusing food etc

so if a snake is shedding, eating, pooing, drinking and being its useuall self its a happy not stressed snake?

just my boa is in a 4x2x2 and shes become more aggresive and its not viv defensive its just being aggresive so im going to put her back intoa rub.

Thanks

Ismail

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
Well yeah, there are signs that snakes are stressed. But how long was it til you started trying to get her out of the viv and how many days after did you begin to notice the signs of agression?

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i lieft her settle in the i started handling her but shes just been a bit aggresive since then so il move her into a RUB after

·
Registered
240 Posts
The chances are it's not aggression, but fright.
If you've just moved her into a new viv, she may be feeling vulnerable due to all the extra space.
Give her plenty of time to properly settle into her new home, and don't give in to her, as they quickly learn that you'll leave them alone if they act up.

Snakes can react in different ways to this sort of change, and also take different lengths of time to adjust to them - mine went the other way, she became a lot more friendly when moved into a larger viv.

I'm not trying to say you haven't done the following, but check anyway:

Make sure your temperatures are right, and that she has sufficient places to hide if she wants to.

Leave her in her new viv for about a week with no interruption, only to change water etc.

Above all, don't give in! If you need to, go back to handling with gloves for a while - but give her a little time, and you should see a transformation.

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i think the new viv is a bit too big for her because shes always trying to make herself squished in somewhere so she feels protected

·
Registered
240 Posts
i think the new viv is a bit too big for her because shes always trying to make herself squished in somewhere so she feels protected
That's why I mentioned plenty of hides to give her the impression of safety.

How old is she, & what sort of size?

I ask because my Dwarf BCI is 4 years old, just over 5 feet long and in a 55 x 24 x 24 viv, and she is now 'puppy dog' tame, whereas when she arrived she came in a 36 x 18 x 18, and she was a handful.

If yours is young she should settle down with time, as Boas are a confident snake and the extra space doesn't usually bother them too much.

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
there is pleanty of hidding places and branches,shes a late 08 but BIG for her age, shes about 44"-48" but is quite slender ( not underfed just slender)

·
Registered
240 Posts
OK, so her new viv isn't too large for her size - she should be fine in there.
As I said before, she's maybe just taking a while to adjust to her new environment, and you might find that she'll calm down soon.
If she's late 08, she's maybe just going through a nippy phase (she's still a youngster!), but the recent move may have 'triggered' it off, so to speak.
Personally, I'd try to persevere with the viv - if you move her back to a tub then she's getting stressed out again, then again when you try the viv again, if you know what I mean?
Hope you can work it out - a boa in a nice viv is a joy to watch!

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
ok thanks mat, i have moved her intoa rub and shes seemd to be ok,shes warming up on the hot side under her hide,im going to leave her in that for a few weeks and then try her in her viv again once i have done it up a bitmore for her

1 - 9 of 9 Posts