Reptile Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
what a joke!....people made the prob so why cull them?.....they are trying to do the same thing with canada geese on lake windemeir (sp?) in the lake district.

maybe they should get rid of the people instead?....we the species destroying the world.

i kno iv had a bad day yesterday lol xx

·
Registered
6,505 Posts
Poor things :(
As with most introductory species which we as stupid humans introduced ..... There has to b a cull in order to save the indigenous species its way many species have become extinct..... I e many flightless birds have died out on the island of kiwi because we released cats and as tgese birds did not nest in trees the cats pretty much wiped them out..... with cane toad it had had a massive impact on the monitor species especially as the cane toad has bin gobling them up at a huge rate because a baby monitors natural predator is not a cane toad so they bin smashing the current population ...... I agree its not the cane toads fault but things have to b done in order to protect all wildlife and especially the indigenous sp ..... Peace : victory:

·
Registered
2,622 Posts
This isn't new, they've been culling Cane Toads, in the thousands, for decades. It's a complete waste of time.
In 1935 (approx 76 years ago) 102 cane toads where introduced, they now estimate over 2,000,000,000 are living in Australia. Individuals have been recorded moving an average of a mile a day!
Yet they still think that camping out for a few nights a month, in a few camp sites, getting rid of as many as they can find, will solve the problem :whistling2:

They simply cannot stop Cane Toads moving accross Australia, simple as.

·
Registered
6,505 Posts
This isn't new, they've been culling Cane Toads, in the thousands, for decades. It's a complete waste of time.
In 1935 (approx 76 years ago) 102 cane toads where introduced, they now estimate over 2,000,000,000 are living in Australia. Individuals have been recorded moving an average of a mile a day!
Yet they still think that camping out for a few nights a month, in a few camp sites, getting rid of as many as they can find, will solve the problem :whistling2:

They simply cannot stop Cane Toads moving accross Australia, simple as.
I think its called damage limitation .... If u try u have a chance of success but no try 100 percent chance of never helping.......:whistling2:

·
Registered
2,744 Posts
It's a shame really, because I just love their cheeky little faces. :whistling2:

·
Registered
2,622 Posts
Its a necessary evil.Cane Toads have had such a detrimental effect on the native wildlife.
Whilst I agree that they have had a very bad effect on the ecosystems, these 'culls' will simply have no effect on the total population.

I think its called damage limitation .... If u try u have a chance of success but no try 100 percent chance of never helping.......:whistling2:
As you all know, I love cane toads- but they are really out of control in this environment. Shame they can't think of some kind of control that deals with the eggs, rather than the adults.
They've tried and tried Ron but there is just no way to get of over two billion Cane Toads via these 'culls'. They've been culling them for decades and their population just keeps rising.

IMO they should just leave them, they'll take over Australia whether they like it or not.

·
Registered
6,505 Posts
Whilst I agree that they have had a very bad effect on the ecosystems, these 'culls' will simply have no effect on the total population.

They've tried and tried Ron but there is just no way to get of over two billion Cane Toads via these 'culls'. They've been culling them for decades and their population just keeps rising.

IMO they should just leave them, they'll take over Australia whether they like it or not.
The same could b sed about poverty .... but still we try ...

·
Registered
1,583 Posts
As you all know, I love cane toads- but they are really out of control in this environment. Shame they can't think of some kind of control that deals with the eggs, rather than the adults.
Agree

I agree something needs to be done, but apart from a 'great wall of china' approach to stop em spreading, I can't think of anything else they can do. Would be nice if they could find something as per Rons suggestion which would eat/destroy the eggs, but i'd imagine nothing would be spawn specific so would destroy native amphibian spawn too.

What annoys me about the whole thing is all those little shits in Aus firing the poor things out of spud cannons, strapping fireworks to them etc... f:censor: sickens me.

I don't think i'll comment on the poverty issue (in 3rd world countries) as my method of control would be seen as rather radical. :blowup:

Reactions: fardilis

·
Registered
2,622 Posts
I agree something needs to be done, but apart from a 'great wall of china' approach to stop em spreading, I can't think of anything else they can do. Would be nice if they could find something as per Rons suggestion which would eat/destroy the eggs, but i'd imagine nothing would be spawn specific so would destroy native amphibian spawn too.
Indeed, the simple answer is that nothing will stop the Toads spreading, it's practically impossible.

They would be better off puttin their recourses to someting unseful : victory:.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.