Reptile Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just wondering how toxic is cane toad poison? I heard it can kill a human in half an hour. This ture? thanks
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
well...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ok thanks. reason i'm asking is I may be getting one and the last thing I wanted to know was how toxic it is.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
155 Posts
Cane toads can kill humans. The toxin is an irritant on the skin. If ingested or comes in contact with the blood it can kill you in high enough concentrations.

Small concentrations <5mg (1mg=0.001g or 1/1000 gram). This is very small toxin levels of Bufotenin (which is found in cane toad excretions). The above is in humans.

It affects respiratory, which is a tightening of the throat and a heavy chest. Increased amounts cause the throat to block and the intercostal and diaphragm to rapidly contract. This means that you can't even take in small breaths, as the muscles are locked. It causes death by asphixiation.

A number of organisms consume cane toads, and other toads with the toxin. These are mostly region specific predators, which are adapted to deal with the toxin.

So yeah, it can kill fast. Depending on the amount, and concentration taken in. So yeah, not the best things to eat.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
17,604 Posts
Don't lick them, don't handle them with open wounds on your hands, don't handle them when they are stressed, always wash your hands after handling, get out of the habit of sticking your fingers in your mouth, if it really worries you, wear disposable gloves if you have to handle them, don't handle them unless you really do need to. Think that covers most things...

I have kept them since I was about 11- with no issues whatsoever.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
638 Posts
Don't lick them, don't handle them with open wounds on your hands, don't handle them when they are stressed, always wash your hands after handling, get out of the habit of sticking your fingers in your mouth, if it really worries you, wear disposable gloves if you have to handle them, don't handle them unless you really do need to. Think that covers most things...

I have kept them since I was about 11- with no issues whatsoever.
After all these years Ron has managed to resist the urge to lick his cane toad! :notworthy: lol :Na_Na_Na_Na:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Don't lick them, don't handle them with open wounds on your hands, don't handle them when they are stressed, always wash your hands after handling, get out of the habit of sticking your fingers in your mouth, if it really worries you, wear disposable gloves if you have to handle them, don't handle them unless you really do need to. Think that covers most things...

I have kept them since I was about 11- with no issues whatsoever.
Cheers :DAll ready decided on that I was not going to touch the thing unless if I have too. And when I do going to wear disposable gloves lol. I know the chances of messing up are small but if I do, I wanted to know in how much danger I would be in.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
75 Posts
a little off the topic of toxins but can anyone get female cane toads here in england? my friend has been looking to buy one for a while now and all he can find is males (or the other way round i cant remember ha)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
17,604 Posts
a little off the topic of toxins but can anyone get female cane toads here in england? my friend has been looking to buy one for a while now and all he can find is males (or the other way round i cant remember ha)
Supply varies, but generally there are more females around as they are larger and more impressive and (in my experience) a lot less shy.
 
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top