Reptile Forums banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey guys, I am James and I am new to the forums. I have been having a whole heap of trouble finding reliable info on my new Cane toad. I wanted a female (I heard they get bigger than males), I just wanted to get the most massive toad as I possibly could.

I got one at an expo and I handled it for a little bit to see if it chirped (I was told only males chirp) and it didn't, so I brought it home, but then it started chirping and I am kind of depressed about it.

He (I think) is 6 months old and about 5 inches long, maybe more. I just got him/her today so it isn't used to me and tends to scrunch when I measure. I am wondering,

A.) Do only males chirp? Also I am told their nape is darker than females, but I notice no real color difference between the nape and the rest of his underside.

B.) With regards to growth cycle, if I take very good care of him and feed him as much as he wants, how big could he get? I have a feeling I will get attached to him and not want to sell him/trade him, but at the same time I feel like I will have buyers remorse because I did not get what I set out for.

C.) There does not seem to be much of a market out here in MN for these toads, so I am not certain of how to go about trading/re homing him...or her....not sure.

I feel bad because I spent days trying to find real answers from people who know what they are talking about, and I think I ended up with a toad that I might not be happy with. Call me selfish but I probably wouldn't have minded if I bought him before I knew how much bigger the females got, but meh. Again, 6 months old (so I am told) and 5+ inches long.

You guys seem to know tons about these frogs, I look forward to hearing what you think!

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.