Reptile Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3,297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What's the difference? I've seen a CF female Royal Python for 45 quid, about 6 months old, feeding well. Are CF Royal OK, given their reputation for feeding problems, or should I pay the extra for a CB?

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
I believe the main difference is that CB (assuming bred in the UK) will be less stressed as they won't have had the stress of being shipped into the country from abroad, meaning your more likely to get a good feeder that settles in quicker. Also I'd have thought there'd be less chance of mites/other parasites with UK CB.

As for the price - if this one is feeding ok and is in good condition then £45 seems like a pretty good price. If you've got any doubts about it though find a CB one and pay a bit more - maybe £60 for a CB the same age.

·
Registered
624 Posts
Captive bred=generally better quality.

Captive farmed=basically wild caught. The animal will have all manner of parasites and diseases. And even if you luck out and get one that eats well and doesn't bring any horrible disease with it you are still buying an animal that has been treated less than ideally.

It absolutely will be more stressed and therefore more vulnerable to illness.

Its your money...but i would happily pay a few extra £'s to ensure that the critter had a better start.

I am quite anti wild caught. This may have showed in the above post. :)

·
Registered
1,334 Posts

This is a good example of CF royals in Africa this is a egg pitt.

Also give these ppl a try:
CB06 Normal Royals - £35 each

Three males left, all strike feeding on defrost rat fluff/weaners

Based in Surrey but may be able to deliver depending on location

Please email [email protected] if interested

·
Registered
301 Posts
your best off getting a CB animal,they tend to adapt better in captivity,than CF.

Also CF can have parasites that were past on to it through it's mother,and my own opinion is that(esecially with royals)there's no need for WC and CF,because there are so many CB royals that it seems such a shame to take others from the wild that often don't do very well in captivity. also i've heard stories about what they do to the females that lay the eggs once there not needed,don't know if there true,but its not very nice!

CB is definatly the way to go!

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
i have a cf female royal python that strike feeds no problem, i think that cf are better quality than most cb snakes :)

·
Registered
6,229 Posts
Why on earth would CF be better than CB?! Sorry Dave but you got lucky, nothing more.
CF snakes are often parasitised (not a good start to life!) and very nervous - the only upside is that they are effectively WC, so have "fresh blood" to bring to the captive breeding programme, though even then many CB animals originated from the same set of WC animals the captive farmed ones came from. (Still following?!)

I dont like royals, (cant stand em in fact!) but I wouldnt bother with a CF animal if I did.

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
i didnt get lucky the shop i bought her from wormed her and kept her until she was strike feeding 3 times in a row :)

·
Registered
6,229 Posts
Exactly - you got lucky. You were lucky enough to find a shop that had deparasitised it and got it feeding. :roll:
In all honestly I cant see why anyone would buy CF, there are plenty of CB hatchlings around and they're not expensive either if you shop around.

Im glad your CF is doing well and you are happy with her, but as a general rule it is not advisable to buy CF when there are captive breds to be had quite easily.

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
Iv got a CF06 female royal, wasnt in the best of health when I got her but doing well now shes been with me for a couple months.

My other royals are CB, and I can say were much better quality from the get go. But now Iv had the little CF for a while, I cant really tell the difference, in actual fact, the CF is feeding and shedding far better than the CB.

As a rule of thumb though, it is best that you avoid CF because of where they have come from and what they have been through etc. I think you can either be very lucky with CF or very unlucky and get a parasite ridden, stressed, non feeder.

With any animal, unless it is particularly rare, you should ideally get CB. The problem is that alot of shops, and other people, who get CF royals in will sell them as CB for the extra £20, but thats just the way it is.

I knew mine was a CF, but I just couldnt leave her in the shop she came from.

Id say pay the extra for CB, you'll save yourself a lot of hassle in the long run if you get a dodgy CF. :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
3,297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The extra cost of getting the CB doesn't bother me, and I don't like the idea of supporting the import trade, dealing with parasites etc... Think I'll look around for a CB then.

Gotta wait nealry 4 weeks though, till I get back from holiday. The shop were gonna hold her for me, but I'll wait and see what is around at the time.

G

·
my take on it is:
you can get beautiful specimens either captive bred or captive farmed....

but

more problems with captive farmed (feeding/health issues) than there is with captive bred.

its like buying an organic turkey....rather than a morrisons own super saver turkey!

plus...captive bred ones or generally tamer.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts