Reptile Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
My daughter has decided that she wants to rehome snakes and lizards from the RSPCA, I am willing to let her do so. However I have been searching around and dont know what I to show and prove to the RSPCA that we are fully capable of looking after reptiles. She wants to do this because she feels that these animals otherwise they wouldnt get rehomed. I know its not as simple as saying "ill have that snake", but we are willing to go out of our way to do something for these reptiles. I have been looking on the website, but cant seem what part of the website that we need to look at.
Help would be appreciated please.

·
Registered
681 Posts
Hi on snake classifieds yesterday there was a RSPCA link selling various reptiles

hope this helps

·
Registered
9,209 Posts
Hello,
My daughter has decided that she wants to rehome snakes and lizards from the RSPCA, I am willing to let her do so. However I have been searching around and dont know what I to show and prove to the RSPCA that we are fully capable of looking after reptiles. She wants to do this because she feels that these animals otherwise they wouldnt get rehomed. I know its not as simple as saying "ill have that snake", but we are willing to go out of our way to do something for these reptiles. I have been looking on the website, but cant seem what part of the website that we need to look at.
Help would be appreciated please.
It's nice that your daughter and you have decided to rescue a reptile. However let me put this out simply and some people may or may not agree with me here.

The rspca have no right to turn around to you and say "o you don't know anything about reptiles so you can't have one!" because to be completly honest...they are NOT qaulified reptile vets and they usualy no nothing about reptiles. The most they no is that they need heat and food. If they wanted to prove you knew something about reptiles (or enoough to house one properly) then they should get a reptile vet to speak to you. A lot of people have commented on RSPCA not knowing anything about reptiles. If i was you, i'd pop to the rspca, check out what reptiles they have for rehoming and ask a few questions but don't decide there and then because they may give you the wrong advice. Go home and look up information on the pet you want, or even ask on here about the reptile you saw. Just make sure that before you buy any reptile, you are clued up enough about it so you know what your getting yourself into lol.

I know i'm being a little harsh on the rspca but to be honest i've heard so many complaints from reptile keepers about them giving out crummy advice. i'm just not a fan of them lol. But it's a fantastic idea to rescue reptiles. i say go for it :2thumb:

·
Banned
22,939 Posts
RSPCA + reptiles = a bridge too far

why not go to an actual rescue reptile centre?

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
The only point I will add is it may be difficult, depending upon how many you re-home quarantining them all, as I would assume some of them would be worse for wear, and one may wipe out your whole collection, especially if your unfortunate enough for example to land yourself with a boa with IBD.

I'm not sure how many you plan on taking on, but one does lead to more, just a thought.

I wish you luck in this.

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
I tried this many moons ago as i wanted to rehome another Royal after i adopted Oscar and fell in love with Royals as a whole but found that the RSPCA in general don't house reptiles for you to re home, the only one i've ever come across is the one in Brighton which has a post in the rehome section on here. Things could have changed in the last couple of years so i might not be up to date anymore.

·
Registered
2,369 Posts
The only point I will add is it may be difficult, depending upon how many you re-home quarantining them all, as I would assume some of them would be worse for wear, and one may wipe out your whole collection, especially if your unfortunate enough for example to land yourself with a boa with IBD.

I'm not sure how many you plan on taking on, but one does lead to more, just a thought.

I wish you luck in this.
Very good point that can often be forgotten when people consider rehoming by the way I am in no way suggesting that the OP has not considered this.

To the OP, good luck with rehoming reptiles. It is nice to see people wanting to look after animals that have been unfortunate thus far in life, rather than wanting the latest fashionable morph.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Its not just reptiles they have no idea about either, i was told by an RSPCA officer that i was breaking the law by breeding mice/rats with the sole intention of feeding them to snakes, she said that all the care requirements were of an acceptable standard but that i was breaking the law by feeding them to snakes. When it comes to cats and dogs they do a good job, but the majority of them know nothing about anything more exotic than that.

·
Registered
9,738 Posts
I'd go direct to a reptile rescue rather than the rspca to be honest.

Very responsible and caring daughter, you must be proud :2thumb:

·
Registered
103 Posts
I'm guessing a lot of people have either had problems with the RSPCA or simply don't like them (which is a fair point) but I've been to the one in Brighton and as far as i know, he is the only centre in the country who rescue reptiles and he shouldn't be slated.
I've been to the place and was impressed on what he had, how well they were being looked after, how many spare vivs and his knowledge on it. he is definitely worth a mention but i can't remember his name on here but if anyone does, can you send a little post please :smile:
They will generally ask you here about your set-up (size, heat source, statted etc) and also ask for a photo to show them you're not just blagging it. He does go through it with you but if you're seriously interested, try contacting him and he will show you around with an prior appoitment.
Well done for looking into rescuing though because there are a lot out there who need help and hopefully once me and my girlfriend have our own place, then i can start doing the same. Good luck and i hope you get the info you need

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
I'm guessing a lot of people have either had problems with the RSPCA or simply don't like them (which is a fair point) but I've been to the one in Brighton and as far as i know, he is the only centre in the country who rescue reptiles and he shouldn't be slated.
I've been to the place and was impressed on what he had, how well they were being looked after, how many spare vivs and his knowledge on it. he is definitely worth a mention but i can't remember his name on here but if anyone does, can you send a little post please :smile:
They will generally ask you here about your set-up (size, heat source, statted etc) and also ask for a photo to show them you're not just blagging it. He does go through it with you but if you're seriously interested, try contacting him and he will show you around with an prior appoitment.
Well done for looking into rescuing though because there are a lot out there who need help and hopefully once me and my girlfriend have our own place, then i can start doing the same. Good luck and i hope you get the info you need
Hi
His name if i remember rightly is Keith

1 - 14 of 14 Posts