Reptile Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
how'dy,

im about to buy a carpet chameleon and need a little help. This would be my first chameleon but am happy i could look after it well. and i was wondering if a 2ft by 2ft by 3ft viv would be big enough for it as an adult? and would an exo terra viv be good enough to house it in?

cheers,

matt

·
Registered
3,103 Posts
I have my nearly adult veiled in a 4 foot tank and he has lots of room. :D
not sure if thats any help. :D

ps. make sure you post pics when you get him/her! :D

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
will try think im getting it in 2 weeks or i should say my other half is i just have to feed it as shes scared of crickets and such.

Very pretty specimen. was going to get a panther but just dont have the room for it as it can grow to 17-21ins. but i think the carpet is just as nice

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
all my little critters are in perfect condition so the photos should be great will have to get pics of them all... if i can get them out of there hides lol

·
Banned
5,772 Posts
dont see why it would be a problem because carpet chams are pretty small arent they but im sure if it does get a bit small for him then u'd buy him a bigger one anyway :p

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i could easly put him in any thing up to a 4x4x5 at any point its just a question of do i ever want to see him again... if i decided to breed i'd upgrade any how :)

·
Registered
5,614 Posts
Best of luck with your new little one :) :)

A exo terra should be fine for a baby cham (I presume you mean the glass ones?) Then, as it gets older you can upgrade to a suitable size either custom built or a flexarium.

When you say if you decide to breed, you would upgrade - do you mean you would upgrade to 2 same sized vivs for a male and female??

·
Banned
5,772 Posts
i hope so lol

·
Registered
4,123 Posts
apart from my reserve to exoterra tanks and chameleons..that is another issure entirely..do you know which subspecies you are getting as they vary greatly in size? this would dictate the size of the viv...
obviously if you have read all you can and have gone for the 'average'( there is a lot of conflicting advice out there) then you can only do what is best by any rep...but be aware that they are still tricky...not as hard as some but there are easier chams out there that look just as good..
they are stunners though :)

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
yeh i would buy a second viv for breeding. and or a much bigger custom made cage if it got to big. i was going to start out with one of the all glass exo-terra vivs.

what other types of chameleon are out there that are available to get with out to much difficulty? and look just as good as the carpet then?

its hard to find much info on sub-species even on the net ive read as many books and websites as i can find

·
Registered
5,614 Posts
I would consider a Yemens to start with.

They are very bright - although don't show as varying colour range as carpets and panthers but they are beleived to be slightly more hardy that most.

You can, again, keep a baby yemens in a large exo terra for the first couple of months and should then upgrade to a suitably sizes juvi tank, then to adult size as it grows on more.

They aren't usually the most sociable of chameleons but in all fairness, no chams should be handled as a matterof course - only when necessary to avoid stress etc.

I would take a read of some care sheets for each species - here are some good informative links for you and then decide form there which species you feel best suited to :)

Good luck :)
http://www.ukchameleons.co.uk/captivecare.htm

http://www.chameleonnews.com/index.html

·
Registered
4,123 Posts
brittone is right yemens are a great introduction into the world of chams...they vary in size and even colour and some are right characters..i have one female that i am sure thinks she is a dog.... :D

panthers are another great alternative..they do get bigger than carpets but their range of colours is far greater depending on the locality you get..nosy be being the most popular...

not ever going to agree with anyone about exoterra's really don't think they are suitable for even hatchlings...have seen some bad outcomes...so i am biased. i would just build a viv! is cheaper...

·
Registered
5,614 Posts
I know a lot of people for and against glass ecos for baby chams and I think it is a debate that will go on forever lol

I have used them successfully with no adverse effects for all my chams and also intend to use them for my future purchases.

If you are unsire about the integrity of using a glass viv and wish to build your own as Belial suggests then make sure you allow enough ventilation to give good cross air flow - this will stop any stale air form building up which can lead to numerous health problems.

Best of luck with whatever you decide :)

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
i think im gonna start off with a exo terra viv. as thats what this specimen is used to. surgested a yemen to the missus (shes the one buying it after all) and now she wants both.....

hopefull next weekend i'll be a proud new owner. just need to set every thing up this weekend.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts