Reptile Forums banner

21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
7,471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Your's will hopefully gain weight and size lovely now she's eating regularly :)
Mine went from a scrawny 14 inches ish, to 3 foot since july to now :lol2:
Hope so. Just need her to be too fat to fit through the vivs doors then I'll be happy!

·
Registered
866 Posts
Oh and Dunelm mill is a chain store :2thumb:

Are the leg holder things you use also from B&Q? I was looking for some of those ages ago but didn't find any. I'm pretty sure I made a bad job of describing them to the guy helping me out though so that probably didn't help. They look like the screw in?

·
Registered
7,471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Oh and Dunelm mill is a chain store :2thumb:

Are the leg holder things you use also from B&Q? I was looking for some of those ages ago but didn't find any. I'm pretty sure I made a bad job of describing them to the guy helping me out though so that probably didn't help. They look like the screw in?
Yeah they screw in at one end, the other end has an extendable leg like what you have under fridges etc, but obviously that just slots inside the bamboo. They're from B&Q too, wait I'll look for a link...

Edit: Here they are http://www.diy.com/nav/fix/hardware...re-Leg-L115XV-Black-H150mm-x-32mm-Dia-9282000

And the bamboo http://www.diy.com/nav/garden/fenci...e-Brown-L-1-8-x-W-0-06m-9426462?skuId=9717167

·
Registered
5,589 Posts
you did a great job there pal :no1:

i really like the way you suspended the bamboo perches and i love the red vents :2thumb:

cheers shaun

·
Registered
7,471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·

i really like the way you suspended the bamboo perches and i love the red vents :2thumb:

cheers shaun
Thanks Shaun, glad you like it! Can't wait to see her in it :)

·
Registered
1,783 Posts

cheers shaun
Hello mate,

Were you on the wine last night? Those red vents you talk of look brown to me, with the colour of the room's walls coming through. I could be wrong though.

OP, I love your bamboo perches. Also, I used to use wicker bird nests for my one when she was smaller and she loved it. I've been having a look for larger ones but the only ones I can find are for rabbits. They would be perfect, but they would also take up too much room.

·
Registered
7,471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Hello mate,

Were you on the wine last night? Those red vents you talk of look brown to me, with the colour of the room's walls coming through. I could be wrong though.

OP, I love your bamboo perches. Also, I used to use wicker bird nests for my one when she was smaller and she loved it. I've been having a look for larger ones but the only ones I can find are for rabbits. They would be perfect, but they would also take up too much room.
Thank you :) I actually bought the bamboo originally to act as a supporting joist for my boa viv, which is the bottom viv in a double stack (there's a pic in the first post). I realised when I got it home it would look really good as a perch, and I am really pleased with how they turned out!

And yes the vents are chocolate brown!

·
Registered
7,471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Woo I went to Dunelm Mill!

Bargain, less than £12 for all this...

And the vine-type things were doubled up as well, so they were twice as long as they looked.

Put some in...

And i've still got loads left, gonna stick some in the boa and royal vivs tomorrow.

Sneaky pic of the carpet while I had the camera out

·
Registered
866 Posts
Woo I went to Dunelm Mill!

Bargain, less than £12 for all this...

And the vine-type things were doubled up as well, so they were twice as long as they looked.

Put some in...

And i've still got loads left, gonna stick some in the boa and royal vivs tomorrow.

Sneaky pic of the carpet while I had the camera out

Looks wicked! I love the ivy from there, I bought a load of pretty flowers too but it all gets trashed in my adult cp viv - only the ivy survives their nighttime strolls :lol2:

Thanks for the links, those feet look great for holding branches up!

·
Registered
7,471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Looks wicked! I love the ivy from there, I bought a load of pretty flowers too but it all gets trashed in my adult cp viv - only the ivy survives their nighttime strolls :lol2:

Thanks for the links, those feet look great for holding branches up!
No problem, they do the job great and for cheaps too ;)

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
Inspiring!

One question though - as I'm setting up my own CP viv soon - What do you do about keeping it warm at night for your CP? I was thinking about ordering Habistat day/night stats, but do you have another way or are you just letting it drop to the room temp?

·
Registered
7,471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
Inspiring!

One question though - as I'm setting up my own CP viv soon - What do you do about keeping it warm at night for your CP? I was thinking about ordering Habistat day/night stats, but do you have another way or are you just letting it drop to the room temp?
Funnily enough, she moved in earlier this month (while RFUK was down lol), I haven't been doing night-time drops, I was advised by much more experienced keepers than myself not to drop at night for the first couple of years of their life. Mine's set to a constant 26C with a pulse- BECAUSE - the stat/thermometer probe are some distance away from the bulb, and knowing how ceramic heaters work I know that closer to the bulb, the temperature is 30-32C. I have done this because the little witch likes to hang from wires, and when she's heavier she'd pull them down. I've had to secure them to the back wall, which is a good few inches away from the bulb.

Here she is;

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
Ahh we'll that makes a lot of sense. I have no idea which stat to choose now though haha. I suppose for the sake of £10 more I should just get day/night ones so I always have a choice depending on what breeding methods I can try. I now remember hearing that the constant temps can be fine though yeah :)

·
Registered
7,471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
Ahh we'll that makes a lot of sense. I have no idea which stat to choose now though haha. I suppose for the sake of £10 more I should just get day/night ones so I always have a choice depending on what breeding methods I can try. I now remember hearing that the constant temps can be fine though yeah :)
I'm not sure those 'magic eye' things work very well in all situations, they have a light sensing dubbins-majig that tells it when to drop the heat, so depends where your viv is to how well it works. Ask some other people who use them first :)

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
Ahh it's not a light sensing one - you attach it to a timer as far as I understand. :)

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
the finch boxes are upstairs awaiting the new viv's to arrive, but i did a trial on a bird nest/ straw woven box which she seemed to favor over the floor hides...

the straw was a bugger to clean if she pooped in it which is why i want to try the plywood boxes like this

Rough edge's have been filed since i took the picture and OH has drilled a couple of holes at the back to i can feed 2 cable ties in so i an attach to branches...want to give them a lick of paint or something just to add colour
I've done this with my Argus Monitor viv, They're towards the top of his enclosure and have got some twigs/nesting hay in there, and hide quail eggs in there every couple weeks! Want him to work for his treats! Great minds think alike ay!

·
Registered
3,874 Posts
I've done this with my Argus Monitor viv, They're towards the top of his enclosure and have got some twigs/nesting hay in there, and hide quail eggs in there every couple weeks! Want him to work for his treats! Great minds think alike ay!
:lol2: indeed!!

Infact you was the one that helped me pick out the straw nest last year as her first high hide :no1:

21 - 38 of 38 Posts