Reptile Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my carpet python Balin is around 1 year old

I had problems with him originall and had to give him injections of anti biotics

when I handled him he was fine I even had to grab him behind the head to hold him still, not so much of a hiss or a bite out of him

recently he has began hissing when I have gone to pick him up, he is not as happy to be handled by me

anyone else experienced this??? is it just a phase????

can anyone give me any ideas on how to eliviate this, I dont want to end up being scared of him

mike

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
Well he could be about to shed his skin, Or maybe he thinks your going to inject him again, the best thing you can do is show him his aggresion wont put you off and pick him up even if he strikes or bites you. I have been taming several large carpets for a few weeks now and one tamed really quickly and my large female is getting there so stick with it.

·
Premium Member
15,027 Posts
If he's not been doing it until recently maybe its just he doesn't want to be handled at the minute. Remember all snakes are 'wild' so to speak and will all have there off days. No snake really likes being handled they just accept it...

or as above is just going through shed. There eye sight isn't the best during shed and it will protect itself.

·
Registered
416 Posts
we've only had our carpet (dyson) for a month or so, but so far she's been really friendly. the only time we've had a little aggression out of her is when were feeding other snakes and she wants a bit!!!

·
Registered
324 Posts
well this can happen sometimes with larger snakes, they get terratorial. so i would recomend you get a snake hook or sumthink similar to take him out of the cage and you could also wear gloves to reduce the risk of injury from any potential bite.

unless he/she goes off food, there isn't any illness, perhaps just gone into a shed or something....

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks for the replies, he isnt due to shed he shed a a few weeks before, he hasnt ever shown any signs of agression before this.

no worries I will just stick with it and keep handling him and see where I get to

thanks alot

mike

1 - 6 of 6 Posts