Reptile Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,692 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
oviously with all other care aspects being good, how do carpets do without regular handling.

Reason is, i would love a carpet and a friend of mine has one that hasn't been handled. My friend is moving to N.ireland and can't take it with him(new landlord won't let him).

As i said the snake has only ever been handled with hooks, and only when needed, so he is quie a narky snake. other than that he's in great condition, about 5 feet long at the moment.

Obviously if i get him, i will try to handle him as much as possible, but if i can't tame him down, will the snake be happy without handling. With the only handling being with hooks to take him outta the viv when needed.

·
Registered
6,229 Posts
He will be fine without regular handling providing you're happy to have an unsocial snake :lol:
Snakes dont really need or enjoy handling, they merely put up with it, so it wont mind being left to its own devices.

·
Registered
632 Posts
i guess it will be ok without being handled, but its not as fun for u!! if i were u i'd try handling, but given the age (and temperment) of him don't expect good results for at least a month!! great practice if your up for it though!!

·
Registered
173 Posts
I'd say buy a big box of plasters and go for it.............lol

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
Like Pendlehog says....They dont need or enjoy handling...They put up with it because we decide we want to hold them.

I personally dont mind having unsociable snakes...In fact I kind of prefer it. I dont like having silly tame animals, I like to have to be wary. I used to have Carpets that I didnt handle very much, one was calm...The other was a bit more feisty. I much prefered the feisty one. Alot of my Ratsnakes I used to have were agressive...It seemed to make my hobby and passion for them more real for some reason. Its not for my ego either before anyone thinks it. Its just a personal preference tis all.

If you want to handle it go ahead...You'll get bitten though if he is a narky bugger, but if he is happy and healthy as he is, I dont see the need to stress him by handling him if you are happy to leave him as he is.

Thats just my tuppence worth :lol:

·
Registered
2,692 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
oh yeah, got no problem with a unsociable snake. same as scarletvege. i would prefer to not handle him. Thing is Idon't like handling snakes, I have no fear what so ever of them, but for some reason I just don't like handling them. I will handle snakes no problem but i try not to where possible.

Any way, what sort of care tips can you recommend. Mainly viv. size as he's in a 2xx2x2 at the mo. and its not big enough. also how would you recommend i heat the viv?

G

·
4x2x2 for a coastal 3x2x2 for a jungle, a red bulb for a hot spot with a couple of hides one in the hot end one in the cool end
works well for my carpets ..

·
Registered
477 Posts
Good advice from Carpet-Man. You should have a hide at the cool and the hot end of the viv for all reptiles where possible......Infact it's really a must.

I would personally love to handle my snake but he would probably prefer not to be handled as much lol. I'm gonna love him and hug him and squeeze him and call him ggggeeeeooorrrggggeeeee. :D

·
Registered
2,692 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thats perfect.

I've got a new stack being built, 4x3. I've got a 4x3x2 at the bottom for my beardies. 2 2x3x1.5 for my geckos. and i've got a spare 4x2x2 for the carpet.

My mate ain't moving till next november, so i may get myself a little carpet in the mean time. Then i will have 2 :D

What sort of carpet would you recommend?

also how much can i expect to pay for a Bredl's?

if they are too much, i'm looking at jungles. but maybe a coastal. and most likely when i get my mate's, i'll probably have a few carpets already

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
mike515 said:
thats perfect.

I've got a new stack being built, 4x3. I've got a 4x3x2 at the bottom for my beardies. 2 2x3x1.5 for my geckos. and i've got a spare 4x2x2 for the carpet.

My mate ain't moving till next november, so i may get myself a little carpet in the mean time. Then i will have 2 :D

What sort of carpet would you recommend?

also how much can i expect to pay for a Bredl's?

if they are too much, i'm looking at jungles. but maybe a coastal. and most likely when i get my mate's, i'll probably have a few carpets already
Expect to pay between £250 and £450 for a Bredli, you could reach a compramise and get a jungle jag sibling, but if I were you I would get a Jungle. But if you plan to have a pair for breeding get the same as your mates got and get the opposite sex. Also include some branches for perches as carpets like to climb and perch off the ground.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts