Reptile Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,792 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone

I use the furminator (purple one for cats) on my two and I think it's brilliant but I was just wondering how often I'm meant to use it.

I'm worried about over furminating :blush: so tend to stop while it's still pulling out some fur. Should I be going until it brings no more fur out? or will it start pulling non-loose hair out too then? If so how long/how much furminating should I do? and then is it a once a week thing? less? more?

I'd appreciate any advice from fellow furminator users or anyone that knows a bit about grooming cats!

thanks
Nancy :)

·
Registered
31,909 Posts
It is possible to overgroom, so I would go with your 'gut instinct' about whether you've got all the dead hair out.

If you think you've got all the dead hair out, then I would stop, because of course with a furminator I think you will always have hair there by nature of the way it is made, so if you're combing out 'live hair' then you're overgrooming.

Does that make sense? :crazy:

·
Pets are a luxury!!!
28,359 Posts
It is possible to overgroom, so I would go with your 'gut instinct' about whether you've got all the dead hair out.

If you think you've got all the dead hair out, then I would stop, because of course with a furminator I think you will always have hair there by nature of the way it is made, so if you're combing out 'live hair' then you're overgrooming.

Does that make sense? :crazy:
Eileen beat me to it:lol2: Years ago I was showing a Devon rex and the judge commented a lovely cat but a bit overgroomed, I had been using a rubber brush and had taken off to much fur:blush:

·
Registered
31,909 Posts
Yes, that's seen a lot a cat shows when novices first start showing and just take out too much hair cos they groom with maybe too much enthusiasm while they're learning about show preparation. :lol2:

·
Pets are a luxury!!!
28,359 Posts
Yes, that's seen a lot a cat shows when novices first start showing and just take out too much hair cos they groom with maybe too much enthusiasm while they're learning about show preparation. :lol2:

My siamese were always beautifully presented but the devons fur was new to me:lol2: Needless to say I stopped using the rubber brush and never showed the rex again:lol2:

·
Registered
3,951 Posts
I use the ferminator once every couple of weeks. I groom him for about 5 minutes max .. and that usually ends up in a fight. I dont like to over use it to be honest.
I use the normal cat brush every few days, he loves being brushed and doesnt stop purring .... fighting as well but its because he is enjoying himself :2thumb:

·
Registered
1,792 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks everyone.

Yes that made sense. I'm not sure if I over groomed George yesterday or not... he still seems to be shedding a lot so maybe I didn't do enough? He absolutely loves it though and purrs and wiggles around to make sure I get to every bit of him! :) He feels about a kg lighter now! :lol2:

Maisy on the other hand is not so keen but will let me do it for a few minutes :)

·
Registered
4,274 Posts
When I got a furminator for my cat I think they said you do it once every day for a week to get most of the fur out then once a week.

But I tend to do my cat every 2-3 weeks but he is only a short hair

·
Registered
1,792 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
i do it for a few mins every week, you can tell if you do it too much, or tooo little..
well you can with my lot anyway,
When I got a furminator for my cat I think they said you do it once every day for a week to get most of the fur out then once a week.

But I tend to do my cat every 2-3 weeks but he is only a short hair

My one didn't seem to have any instructions with it so I wasn't sure. I was away for 3 months over the summer so of course my OH barely furminated them at all (grrrrr!) so I think I may try a week of gentle furminating first as you suggest. You would not believe the state of my furniture after 3 months of fairly lax furminating - there was almost a whole extra cat on the living room chair! :gasp:

·
Registered
4,274 Posts

My one didn't seem to have any instructions with it so I wasn't sure. I was away for 3 months over the summer so of course my OH barely furminated them at all (grrrrr!) so I think I may try a week of gentle furminating first as you suggest. You would not believe the state of my furniture after 3 months of fairly lax furminating - there was almost a whole extra cat on the living room chair! :gasp:
aww your poor chairs :Na_Na_Na_Na:

My cat isnt so bad but I am sure I pull out a whole dogs worth of fur off my lurcher every 2 weeks!

·
Registered
31,909 Posts
:lol2: During shedding time I swear I could knit another dog with what the furminator gets out of our GSD! :lol2:

·
Registered
5,743 Posts
My moggie always sleeps on one particular chair so I just hoover that every other day. She gets brushed every couple of days but I don't really have a need for a furminator.

I used to have a long haired GSD and moulting season was hell. Wish they had invented furminators back then!

·
Registered
1,792 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I have several of those lint rollers around so just roll it over the furniture every time I notice the fur. I did wonder if it would be easier to just lint roller the cats :lol2:

·
Registered
31,909 Posts
I used to hoover Sorcha - she loved it - even with the Dyson! :gasp: On a few occasions the suck was so strong it pulled her over! :lol2:

We have lint rollers everywhere, even in the car because cat hair is unavolidable. Now we have dog hair to worry about too. In fact Barry refused point blank to get a White GSD because his work clothes are navy blue! :lol2:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.