Reptile Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so some of you may remember me getting my Bengal kittens a while ago.
They have been in the house a while now and have settled well.

My problem is this, they have so far gone through a pot lid, 2 glasses, a mug, an ornament, a vase with flowers and tonight a pyrex dish. All knocked of some kind of surface and smashed. :bash:

They are indoor cats (until next month when they get done :devil:) so i bought them plenty of little toys and things to play with, though they prefer the post and bottle caps lol.

What am i doing wrong? why are they doing this to me?

Please help, my partner is literally at the end of her tether this time.........

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
even our moggies do that had
today alone we have half a mug of tea knocked over
a Pretty thing of a shelf
and a vase of flowers water went everywhere:whip:

·
Pets are a luxury!!!
28,359 Posts
If you get an active breed of cat this is normal behaviour:whistling2: Blutack is great for sticking down ornaments:2thumb:
My 2 Sphynx have a great time home wrecking:lol2:

·
Registered
31,909 Posts
Damage limitation is the only way. Everything in my house is blu-taked down, but almost every night everything on my bedside table ends up on the floor as that's the 'launch pad' and 'dismount shelf' for the windowsill! :roll:

·
Registered
22,890 Posts
What am i doing wrong? why are they doing this to me?
They're kittens, they're clumsy AND can jump well. Keep in mind they're BABIES.

Put the fragile things well out of their reach - in cupboards, ideally - so that they're out of harm's way.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
yeh i have had a bengal before and i knew what i was in for, just my guy got over it pretty quick lol.

Just thought that there may something i could do or was possibly doing wrong.

Hopefully then it will settle down after they go out...........

·
Registered
260 Posts
if i was u id just put everything away for a while so they dont get broken. kittens are very curious about things and when they get curious things do tend to get broken if ur not watching them lol you know the saying curiosity killed the cat well it applies a bit better to kittens lol

·
Registered
2,721 Posts
I have a bengal/mau cross and a pure mau and they do it all the time, I have lostcount of the things they have damaged. Sleeve, the bengal cross is 5 years old and still does it on a regular basis, so much so that I now have no pretty things out and actively leave him safe things to knock over as I know he will do it anyway.

If they are gonna do it, they are gonna do it. I have not been able to stop him at all...

·
Registered
2,279 Posts
yeh i have had a bengal before and i knew what i was in for, just my guy got over it pretty quick lol.

Just thought that there may something i could do or was possibly doing wrong.

Hopefully then it will settle down after they go out...........
If you're kittens are happy as indoor cats now - and I'm assuming they are by all the mischeif they seem to be getting into - why not keep them that way?

I'm sorry, and I know I'm very one-minded and obtuse about this - but I can't for the life of me understand why people still let their cats out to roam freely so they can get run over, lost, kidnapped and tortured by thugs, kill our native wildlife, toilet in other people's gardens, attacked by dogs, get into fights, get locked in other people's sheds and garages, vanish completely never to be seen again.... :hmm:

But back on topic - I've just woken up to find my two homebred kittens have knocked over one of my orchids so there's soil all over my new sofa throw, have knocked over one of the plants on the side of the bath and trodden the soil from that everywhere, missed the side of the litter tray and left a little present on the floor next to it, and broken into the kitchen cupboard and torn open a bag of Orijen which is now all over the kitchen floor and Salem the little black & white tom is now looking rather bloated and possibly a little ill from his enourmous pig-out. All that since I went to bed at 2am and now it's just gone 9 - not bad for 2 kittens! :2thumb:

·
Registered
31,909 Posts
I'm not going to lecture either, but I wouldn't allow bengals to roam, especially if you live in a very rural area, but again that's just my opinion.

·
Pets are a luxury!!!
28,359 Posts
I dont believe any cats should roam, especially pedigree cats. The lost list at the sanctuary is full of pedigree cats :(

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
thats the thing, i do worry that they will be stolen especially the snow (pics in my page) but i am one of them that feels that cats need to be out hunting and exploring, more so with bengals.

thanks for the posts too, its good to know that its not just mine so im not doing anything wrong lol.

·
Pets are a luxury!!!
28,359 Posts
thats the thing, i do worry that they will be stolen especially the snow (pics in my page) but i am one of them that feels that cats need to be out hunting and exploring, more so with bengals.

thanks for the posts too, its good to know that its not just mine so im not doing anything wrong lol.

Catproof your garden, they can still play out but they are safe

·
Registered
3,951 Posts

Just had a look at your pics. Gorgeous cats!

So, um...where is it you live, and when are you letting them out again? :whistling2:

·
Registered
31,909 Posts
My post wasn't just about them being stolen, it's about a cat that has wild genes in it being given freedom in a rural area, there's a risk that they may go semi-feral and prefer being outside than inside with you!

It happens with outdoor loving 'normal' pedigrees, so no reason to assme it wouldn't happen with cats that have wild cats behind them.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
yeh that does make a lot of sense Feorag, i never really saw it that way.

And Shell, how would one exactly catproof a garden?

·
Pets are a luxury!!!
28,359 Posts
yeh that does make a lot of sense Feorag, i never really saw it that way.

And Shell, how would one exactly catproof a garden?
You need a 6ft fence as a basis before you start, buy metal struts(angle irons) and fasten to the fence at intervals. Buy a roll of wire mesh and attach to the struts so when the cat climbs it hits a wall of floppy wire
Eileen(Feorag) will describe it better as she has a catproof garden too, heres some pics of mine( I couldnt find the close up ones)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts