Reptile Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
664 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have some Synodonts gallina catfish and they are usually very quiet and you never see them, until recently.. One of them seems to be jumping out of the water and making a awful lot of splashing on top of the water, whilst rubbing itself on top of the spotlights we have in the tank.. I thought it could be to do with ammonia posining as i know fish will jump out of water when there is poor water quality, the water is fine tho and it was also changed yesterday just in case, but all levels are ok as we tested them. It seems to be that only 1 fish that is doing it and it does it mainly after the lights have been switched off..its really perculiar and i have no idea why its happening.. any thoughts would be good..

tar
emily

·
Registered
664 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
nope nothing, i canged the water yesterday, but it was doing it before that..i allways change the water every few weeks not all of it only like quarter so i can clean the gravel. It is really bizare never seen it do anthing like this before:hmm:

·
Registered
664 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i cant see anything on it that would resemble parasites, all of the other fish seem fine, lightbulb hasent been changed recently and it mainly seems to do it at night after the light goes off..

·
Registered
2,745 Posts
Have you measured ammonia and nitrite? When I first got into fish keeping and didn't know about cycling I had a pleco who normally hid all of the time. When the nitrites spiked as it cycled he went crazy and started swimming all over the tank...he then died.

I don't mean to worry you but you could always check and make sure there hasn't been a strange spike for whatever reason?

·
Registered
664 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i check my nirite,nitrate and ammonia every 2 days, allways have done.. everything is normal ...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts