Reptile Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
727 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Watch countryfile or catch it on Iplayer...

They are removing cave spiders from a barn using a hoover and a fishtank (power-pooter they named Arachno-vac...)... Apparantly the 'expert' dosnt know they are delicate... its making me cringe watching them shoot down the hoover tube. They are so gonna be battered to hell!

·
Registered
727 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yeah they were! shame they had to travel via hoover hose to get rehomed though!

·
Registered
2,982 Posts
I thought the same thing...what a prat he was doing it that way :devil:

·
Super Moderator
12,018 Posts
I particularly liked the presenter (that guy from Blue Peter) who mentioned "of all the insects they're the most sort of creepy" and the 'expert' made no effort at all to correct him!

·
Registered
727 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I particularly liked the presenter (that guy from Blue Peter) who mentioned "of all the insects they're the most sort of creepy" and the 'expert' made no effort at all to correct him!
hahaha yeah... it sucks, because someone who actually knows a little about spiders and insects and is passionate about them could have been paid to do that job... either presenting or moving the spids!

Im not bitter... honest! : victory:

·
Registered
2,982 Posts

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
Supposedly wide spread in the UK it's just a matter of finding sites for them, kudos on someone taking the time to move them but by hand with a few plastic tubes would have been a lot quicker and safer for the spiders.

·
Registered
727 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I've heard there everywhere as long as it's stupidly dark! So come down here we can find some caves :2thumb:
There is some good caves up here near me... might go down with a torch one night this week... see what i can find! : victory:

At worst i might find a hobo lair! hmmm better take a sharp stick for defense and some methylated spirits for a diversion/bargaining piece...

·
Banned
5,696 Posts
There is some good caves up here near me... might go down with a torch one night this week... see what i can find! : victory:

At worst i might find a hobo lair! hmmm better take a sharp stick for defense and some methylated spirits for a diversion/bargaining piece...
Lol yeah and some cheap cider! I wouldn't go down at night though :p

·
Registered
1,840 Posts
i know that its not an ideal way of transporting them, but could you imagion trying to individually pot them up? they would run everywhere and they would be there all day doing it, and to be honest these people may not have the spiders in their best intrests, as much as we de anyways

·
Super Moderator
12,018 Posts
i know that its not an ideal way of transporting them, but could you imagion trying to individually pot them up? they would run everywhere and they would be there all day doing it, and to be honest these people may not have the spiders in their best intrests, as much as we de anyways

How so? If they're as common as everyone appears to be making out, how come they went to the trouble of moving the spiders out of the buildings and relocating them before the renovations rather than just fumigating the place?

I would suggest that they did (despite slightly dubious methods) was 100% in the best interests of the spiders?

·
Premium Member
7,237 Posts
In fairness the suction on the hoover was poor through that apparatus and I did not observe any being damaged rather than shaken up a little.

The suction on that thing going through a tank is less than using a hoover conventionally. To me it seemed a decent enough method to quickly remove the spiders, although I'd personally be quicker just using my hands and a paintbrush. Then again, I'm practically a spider magnet.

At least they were trying, although I did find the atmospheric music a tad predictable. It's like "we're doing something on spiders. Cue the scary music to reinforce the notion these are Satan's creatures and eliminate the possibility that people won't immediately judge them disgusting".

Just as an aside, those of you interested in them as pets - they require cool temperatures so are probably best kept in a shed rather than indoors.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts