Reptile Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
UNSEXED juveniles CB 2016, all around 2-6 months old and feeding well on fruit flies, crickets, mango and Phelsumin:

0.0.4 Phelsuma cepediana (Mauritian Blue Tailed Day Gecko)
£60 each; £200 all 4

0.0.1 Phelsuma nigristriata (Black-lined Day Gecko)
£35

0.0.2 Lygodactylus williamsi (Electric Blue Day Gecko)
£50

Each supplied with live food and Phelsumin sample.

Based in Sussex - can meet buyers across M23 / M25 region or deliver for fuel costs.
Also heading to Bristol & South West area regularly.

·
Registered
10,036 Posts
Williamsi is now Annex A CITES. You cannot advertise, sell, or buy unless an Article 10 certificate is valid for the specimen.
I would strongly suggest that you remove the advert and postpone the sale until you have the relevant legal paperwork in place.
You face a potential prison sentence, at the very least a criminal record, otherwise.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
williamsi certs

Don't worry Ian, I am aware of it.
The williamsi are reserved and won't be collected until sufficient paperwork is available. They have been listed as A10 but EU law has not yet come into effect.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Like I said...

Thanks Colin, I know - I can read a little French!
:blush:

They're not going anywhere without sufficient documentation, don't worry.

I've kept and bred this species for many years, so I plan to be continuing to do so under the new regulations.
I've kept other A10 species (Dumerils, Sanzinia etc), so I have some experience of this...

·
Registered
395 Posts
Make that Appendix I CITES, EU regulation would be the Annex bit..
Regards
Ross Ashley Machin DVM
Hinckley Exotics Referrals

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yes

Yes, that's right.
Anyway, I'm keeping all of the williamsi now.
All of the Phelsuma youngsters sold.

I'd like to stress that, having kept and bred wiliamsi for many years, I'm in favour of the new legislation. However, there's been a lot of confusion over the implementation.

·
Registered
354 Posts
You might struggle getting paperworks as you will need to prove they are from legally imported blood line

None have been legally imported

Just as we started increasing numbers in the U.K. They did this only going to increase the market for illegally imported Williamsi so it will have the opposite effect to what they want

Wish they would of tried another way to stop the illegal wild caught rather than this
This is my opinion anyway

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
347 Posts
The whole situation is a mess and its all caused again by CITES - I've said several times before its not fit for purpose as an organisation, a political monster who has completely lost its direction and doesn't understand the point of its own purpose now, or what it is there to do. They read a couple of reports, do no proper investigation or field work and just pass judgement - when they made the williamsi decision they didn't even realise the size of the animals involved and that microchipping was a non starter for goodness sakes?! :-S

williamsi are threatened in the wild and I completely agree that they need to be protected and severe penalties meted out if (hopefully when) poachers are caught; on the flip side they live quite happily in captivity, breed readily and are a cracking little lizard to keep. They should have been made appendix 2 with a complete ban on export - that would have solved the problem!

PS - the Tanzanian govt is about as corrupt as they come - they see a chance to make money out of this, IMHO CITES should just ignore what they're saying about them not being exported legally and start issuing a10's to keep the captive bred trade going, if they don't with the deforestation rates they'll be nigh on extinct in the wild in 10-15 years with little or no captive bred population to fall back on :-(

1 - 18 of 18 Posts