Reptile Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
are there any centepedes on the dwa list?

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
kool, jus checkin, as i gt 1 an wanted 2 b double sure, after some reasearch its a Tanzanian Yellow-Legged nasty thisng jumps at everything tryin 2 bite it...lol cheers

·
Registered
933 Posts
But don't let it bite you. The giant pedes have a very nasty bite.
They are also very very fast, try to keep it in a fauna tub with sides higher than the pede is long.
You can use glass tubs but they have been known to climb the bead of silicone and push lids up. I keep mine in the fauna tubs because it makes them much safer to deal with.
Try not to handle it, or get your fingers anywhere near it, just in case. The african ones aren't as bad as the asian ones but still pretty painful by all accounts. It is sometimes possible to handle the odd one, but care must be taken and you must be prepared for the worst just in case.

Mike

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
I've read of giant centipede bites (not sure what species) causing massive swelling, pain and fever. So even if not on the list they are not to be messed around with.

·
Registered
5,282 Posts
there bite is simlar to getting hit by a train. LOL

Slight exaggeration but some species can cause pretty powerful bites, simlar to smaller viper bites!

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
You might want to read this.....the bit by "gphx" - this guy is an experienced professional handler and he recommends try not to handle at all. It's a bit long but quite interesting. The previous page holds a personal description of the results when one guy deliberately got his Scolopendra sp. to bite him (not sensible in my book!). Just to give an idea....

Giant Centipede Handling - Page 6 - Arachnoboards

·
Registered
278 Posts
Scolopendrons are especially nasty. Theres at least one recorded fatality. As far as i know the bite was to the chest, which pretty much fell out through necrosis-type effects..

little work has been done on the composition, variation or effects of centipede venoms, which is probably the reason they're not on DWA... no one knows just how nasty they are...

If they're what you're into then great... but be really careful :)

·
Registered
16,577 Posts
I heard of a fataility to a little girl, she got bitten on the neck apparently, I cant remember where I read it, on arachnoboards maybe, it was in the wild though in the country it came from.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Funny you should say that, i was chatting to a mate about them earlier this week and he said he'd heard of a little girl that died from a scolo bite.... guess he was right!

Scolos tend to hunt by hanging with the top half of their body free in the air, grabbing any thing that comes in contact with it... so i guess thats how she got bitten on the neck... some of the big caves dwelling ones eat birds and bats... its insane....

while on the subject of scolos.... if anyone wants any PM me as i have a friend who has had a shipment in from malaysia.... :)

·
Registered
278 Posts
Wanna see a piccy of one??? gruesome looking beasts that they are...

i have no idea what species this is... which is unsuprising as no one knows how many species there are....

isnt it cute?!?

lol

·
Registered
278 Posts
erm... i dunno!! lol. not even sure if those are among the subspecies he has left...

he has -

Scolopendra mutilans £10
Chinese tiger legs £18
hong kong giants £20
and the indonesian subspecies £10

not sure on the ages of those... please excuse the vague naming, like i said the scolo classifiaction system is lacking to say the least :)

he also has baby tiger legs 10 for a fiver

will find out tonight which subspecies is in the pic, and i'll see if he has pics of the others....

:)

·
Registered
11,538 Posts
Is that centipede eating a mouse??

Also i'm glad i read this thread, because i never even thought about centipede's being dangerous!! That's now been stored in my memory for future reference!!:no1:

·
Registered
278 Posts
i havent on this computer, i only have that one as we used it for an ad we placed for him a while ago... i think google is prob the best bet!

sorry! will try to get some tonight when i see my friend

·
Registered
278 Posts
Yeah thats a mouse alright!!! :)

quite scary isnt it! some of these critters get to over a foot long.....

not all centipedes are dangerous... but be very wary of anything under the name scolopendron... they're the indonesian nasties, i'm not sure about nasty ones from the rest of the world....

·
Registered
278 Posts
I assume so.... i've never seen them eat as i always make an excuse not to go to my feeding time invites!! they give me the creeps.....

apparently the get up on their back legs (back half i suppose....) and wave their front half around in the air til they come into contact with the mouse....

there are some crazy videos on utube.... try "scolopendron feeding" or "centipede feeding" or something......

·
Registered
278 Posts
OK....

just got an update.... the one in the picture is a Scolopendra subspinipes spp, also known as a "cherry red"..... unfortunately he has none of these beasts left, but i will be getting photos of all subspecies he has left later on this evening........

1 - 20 of 32 Posts