Reptile Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone help me find some C. nems? I can only find C. hortensis in my area and only managed to find 2 nems in Devon whilst on a weekend away. I'd really appreciate any help. Thanks.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Cepaea nemoralis

Probably I can supply. We have a variety of colour forms occurring locally here in the NE England, from pink to yellow. I'd be looking for an exchange! Do you have any Pomatias elegans anywhere near you?
John Skillcorn

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Not that I'm aware of, but I've not actively searched for them before. There are a couple of places nearish to me that might be worth me looking (a disused chalk quarry, and I live minutes away from a scrubby, grassy shoreline).

·
Registered
14 Posts
OK. Thanks for that. What exactly are you looking for with regard to the Cepaea nemoralis? Numbers, colour form, ages?

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I would ideally like a yellow and an orange with thick, wide bands (these can be any age), some pink with and without banding and some 'black and whites' with various banding; thin, wide, single and multiple (these would need to be adult so that they have their brown lip, just to make sure they're nemoralis and not hortensis).

I realise this is quite specific - sorry :blush: I just managed to buy 6 to add to my 2, and am looking to complete my 'colour set'.

These are my new 6...

This is where they currently live...

And this is the type of collection I'm aiming for (Googled images)...

·
Registered
14 Posts
Cepaea nemoralis

I'll see what I can do. It's best to collect them during a shower of rain, so it may be a day or two...

BUY - surely not! They're all over the place here!

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you. Yes I know - where they live they're very common, but unfortunately they just don't live here. I tried a few times to appeal to people but the only response I had was from someone selling. To be fair they were very reasonably priced - I've seen them on ebay for 4x what I paid! I very much appreciate you looking - thank you. Tomorrow and Sunday I will finally have the time to go hunting for Pomatias elegans, so fingers crossed...

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hi there. I collected a fair number of snails this morning (40+) so all I need is an address to where they can be sent.
There are a lot of obvious nemoralis but a few that don't strictly have a well defined dark lip to the shell. From their size, though, I have a feeling they are nemoralis rather than hortensis.
Anyway, best thing is to send them to you so that you can sort them out yourself. There are some beautiful pinks among them, some deep rose red even. Banding is variable with one or two with no banding at all.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Oh that's fantastic - thank you so much! I sense a tank upgrade coming on already, haha. I'll pm you my details.

Unfortunately I've not had any luck so far with yours, but I have a few more places to try, so I'll keep searching.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts