Reptile Forums banner

21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
3,143 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
yeah that will be absolutely fine what kind of stat is it going on? as for questions dont you worry i can talk carpets all day :2thumb:
More than likely a habistat pulse 300w, I have one spare, thats why I wanted a ceramic more so the light going on and off doesnt do his head in. I dont want to currently buy any more stats (such as a dimmer) as im in workings of getting some different ones.

Haha any tips for taming down a spawn of satan female jungle? :lol2:

·
Registered
840 Posts
More than likely a habistat pulse 300w, I have one spare, thats why I wanted a ceramic more so the light going on and off doesnt do his head in. I dont want to currently buy any more stats (such as a dimmer) as im in workings of getting some different ones.

Haha any tips for taming down a spawn of satan female jungle? :lol2:
yeah see thats what i was worrying about maybe a ceramic would be better then. as for taming down best thing i can say is while shes small just let her bite ya dont put her straight down when she does and just regular handling without fail.

·
Registered
3,143 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
yeah see thats what i was worrying about maybe a ceramic would be better then. as for taming down best thing i can say is while shes small just let her bite ya dont put her straight down when she does and just regular handling without fail.
Il go for the ceramic then, a 60w ceramic be okay?

cool. do you think I should hook her out or use my hands? she is very strike happy in the vivarium, and still bites when out. She will strike out in my hands if someone walks past. I reckon shes just nervous bless her.
So yeah what you reckon, hook her out or take her out with my hands?

·
Registered
840 Posts
Il go for the ceramic then, a 60w ceramic be okay?

cool. do you think I should hook her out or use my hands? she is very strike happy in the vivarium, and still bites when out. She will strike out in my hands if someone walks past. I reckon shes just nervous bless her.
So yeah what you reckon, hook her out or take her out with my hands?
yeah thatll be all good :2thumb:

i would say for now if she is really bad just hook her out short handling sessions just a few minutes at a time a couple of times a week. then as she slowly starts to get used to this start holding one hand up so she watches that and use your other hand too start picking her up from behind( you will notice brian doing alot of this on snakebytes). obviously with this you run the risk of her turning round and getting the odd nip on ya but that will soon stop that. then your basically there only thing i will say is when you go in to grab her stay confident if youve started to get her and she makes a sudden movement just get her anyway alot of the time as soon as they realise you have hold of them they just stop any attempt to convince you not to.

·
Registered
3,143 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
yeah thatll be all good :2thumb:

i would say for now if she is really bad just hook her out short handling sessions just a few minutes at a time a couple of times a week. then as she slowly starts to get used to this start holding one hand up so she watches that and use your other hand too start picking her up from behind( you will notice brian doing alot of this on snakebytes). obviously with this you run the risk of her turning round and getting the odd nip on ya but that will soon stop that. then your basically there only thing i will say is when you go in to grab her stay confident if youve started to get her and she makes a sudden movement just get her anyway alot of the time as soon as they realise you have hold of them they just stop any attempt to convince you not to.
awesome okay :) Im going to really start tonight, with the regular handling sessions. she got me 10 times the other week :whip: literally as I was picking her up she was wrapping round everything and just kept repeatedly striking and getting me.
Im not so bothered about getting bitten anymore, just dont want to stress her. She loves her food and stuff though so fingers crossed she will get better :2thumb:

·
Registered
840 Posts
awesome okay :) Im going to really start tonight, with the regular handling sessions. she got me 10 times the other week :whip: literally as I was picking her up she was wrapping round everything and just kept repeatedly striking and getting me.
Im not so bothered about getting bitten anymore, just dont want to stress her. She loves her food and stuff though so fingers crossed she will get better :2thumb:
wicked well keep me in the loop as to how its going :)

·
Registered
5,589 Posts
Cool ill have a look at a 40w one, im on the lookout for a proper wooden arboreal vivarium for him, but hes little over 20'' long so I think hes abit small yet,
as long as he is not a " nervous feeder ",he will be fine going straight into a wooden viv

i know plenty carpet keepers who have put hatchlings into a 4x2x2ft viv with no issues...

just make sure theres plenty hides,branches and its bulked out with fake plants for cover

i really like the eyes on your new/old Carpet pal

cheers shaun

·
Registered
3,143 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
as long as he is not a " nervous feeder ",he will be fine going straight into a wooden viv

i know plenty carpet keepers who have put hatchlings into a 4x2x2ft viv with no issues...

just make sure theres plenty hides,branches and its bulked out with fake plants for cover

i really like the eyes on your new/old Carpet pal

cheers shaun
hes been an excellent feeder, the only problem was the pinkies but hes taking the fuzzies now (yay)
I was thinking of an arboreal vivarium rather than a flat one if you get me?
Im going to screw loads of branches into the sides and go mental in dunelm mill buying all the plants :lol2:
he is proper teeny though, like smallest ive ever seen haha. As far as I know he was a aug/sept 12 baby and hes about 20" long at the moment.
thanks for the lovely comments, his eyes are amazing :flrt:

·
Registered
840 Posts

·
Registered
4,376 Posts
How about you do away with the cheap poly background and give your snake what it actually needs? A 40 watt CME will get much hotter than a 60 watt house bulb. CMEs are rarely used here in the States anymore because many keepers found out the hard way that they have dehydrating qualities.

·
Registered
3,143 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
How about you do away with the cheap poly background and give your snake what it actually needs? A 40 watt CME will get much hotter than a 60 watt house bulb. CMEs are rarely used here in the States anymore because many keepers found out the hard way that they have dehydrating qualities.
How about you curb that attitude and read the thread?
Ive already confirmed im buying him a bigger wooden arboreal vivarium to be kitted out with a 60w ceramic bulb. Theres no need for the offensive attitude in your first post.
I am trying to find out EXACTLY what would be best for my snake as I was unsure on moving him to a bigger vivarium, but it has been confirmed that he will be fine.

·
Registered
4,376 Posts
How about you curb that attitude and read the thread?
Ive already confirmed im buying him a bigger wooden arboreal vivarium to be kitted out with a 60w ceramic bulb. Theres no need for the offensive attitude in your first post.
I am trying to find out EXACTLY what would be best for my snake as I was unsure on moving him to a bigger vivarium, but it has been confirmed that he will be fine.
No attitude really. Sorry if you took offence. You should not be so sensitive and look at the information given. I am trying to tell you that CHEs ae really not rhe best possible choice for heat. Most seasoned keepers and breeders here in the States will tell you the same thing. You should look into other options instead of just taking the word of one or two people.

·
Registered
3,143 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
No attitude really. Sorry if you took offence. You should not be so sensitive and look at the information given. I am trying to tell you that CHEs ae really not rhe best possible choice for heat. Most seasoned keepers and breeders here in the States will tell you the same thing. You should look into other options instead of just taking the word of one or two people.
I found you had an attitude. Apology accepted.
Either way, I do not live in the states, the general air temp around here is ALOT colder than over there (as far as im aware) ive used Ceramic heating for years and wanting to know what would be best, either a ceramic heater or a red bulb basking heater.
What would you recommend? I know most people on here would probably recommend a ceramic.

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
Infact guys:
how about this?
Preloved | brand new 3ft arboreal vivarium for sale in Manchester, Lancashire
would this do him for life? id rather buy his "life" vivarium rather than go in steps!
and what would you use for heating? 100w Ceramic on a pulse stat?
I personally would lokk for some thing a bit longer.carpets are "semi arboreal"
so in my opinion length as well as hieght.I go with shauns advice.4x2x2 for life,plus i put all my young into minimum 3x2x2,usually 4x2x2.
As for heating,either a red bulb or ceramic will do the job,i use both with no problems:2thumb:

·
Registered
4,376 Posts
I found you had an attitude. Apology accepted.
Either way, I do not live in the states, the general air temp around here is ALOT colder than over there (as far as im aware) ive used Ceramic heating for years and wanting to know what would be best, either a ceramic heater or a red bulb basking heater.
What would you recommend? I know most people on here would probably recommend a ceramic.
Thanks for accepting.
I live in New York. Temps heve been in the teens and 20's here for weeks. Snow on the ground and everything... LOL.

Anyway, my suggestion is to use low wattage basking bulbs closer to the basking spot. It does not super heat and dehydrate the air and creates a very good head gradient.

The problem with CHEs is like I said earlier. They need to get much hotter than bulbs in order to achieve the same basking temperatures. In a bigger wooden viv, this will cause a dehydrating environment. That is why most keepers do not use them here. They have been around the reptile industry here for about 20 years. They have proven to not be a good heating option.

·
Registered
3,143 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
I personally would lokk for some thing a bit longer.carpets are "semi arboreal"
so in my opinion length as well as hieght.I go with shauns advice.4x2x2 for life,plus i put all my young into minimum 3x2x2,usually 4x2x2.
As for heating,either a red bulb or ceramic will do the job,i use both with no problems:2thumb:
Ahh okay, awesome I think ill go for a 4x2x2 then :D thanks for your help much appriciated :2thumb:

Thanks for accepting.
I live in New York. Temps heve been in the teens and 20's here for weeks. Snow on the ground and everything... LOL.

Anyway, my suggestion is to use low wattage basking bulbs closer to the basking spot. It does not super heat and dehydrate the air and creates a very good head gradient.

The problem with CHEs is like I said earlier. They need to get much hotter than bulbs in order to achieve the same basking temperatures. In a bigger wooden viv, this will cause a dehydrating environment. That is why most keepers do not use them here. They have been around the reptile industry here for about 20 years. They have proven to not be a good heating option.
Can you paste me some examples? like brands you know of just so I can get a decent idea of what im looking for, thanks for this.

I have always thought ceramics were the heater of choice for most enthusiasts, I was always steered away from the low wattage bulbs as I reckoned they didnt put out enough heat,

·
Registered
14,312 Posts
Thanks for accepting.

Ah see i am a bigger fan of ceramics, they do dry out the air, this is very true, but with a decent substrate and with species that need it additional spraying, the correct humidity can be reached, i've used ceramic heaters with things like chameleons and green tree pythons and etbs for years, with additional spraying to ensure humidity levels are right, i prefer them. Allows me to use them for night heat aswell on certain species when room temp drops a little too low for my liking, without disrupting sleeping patterns or annoying me with a red light shining out all night lol.

21 - 39 of 39 Posts