Reptile Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
3,297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone know where a I can get a good bulb holder that attaches to the inside of a viv?

Will the same bulb holder take ceramics or lights, or are the different?

·
Registered
3,297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Can the same fitting be used for a light bulb? And can I put a ceramic on a dimmer stat?

Just not sure whether to go for a light or ceramic, so want equipment that give me a choice between the 2.

·
Premium Member
15,027 Posts
Deano said:
Can the same fitting be used for a light bulb? And can I put a ceramic on a dimmer stat?

Just not sure whether to go for a light or ceramic, so want equipment that give me a choice between the 2.
Don't see why not :wink: and yes a normal bulb will fit into a ceramic holder but it will only take edison screw bulbs

·
Registered
3,297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Cool, got 5 of them on order (multibuy discount!!!). S'pose I'll have to build 2 more viv's then :roll:

I'll probably go for ceramic anyway, so might as well go for pulse stat.

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
just saw ths Deano ...you got the holders covered...I ended up getting one of these...

http://www.camzoo.co.uk/pi456430420.htm?categoryId=12

B1 Dimmer tis the biz by the way .... I even run another heat bulb of it as well ( handles upto 600w )...just takes a wee bit of tweaking about with the temp controls .

Hows that viv coming along ?

Take care

·
Registered
3,297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Stalling a bit at the moment, I've got some more bits - Runners, finger pulls, locks, vents, ceramic holder (they turned up today!), and I've found somewhere that can do the glass.

My main problem now is the thin strip of wood for the front of the viv - I want 2 x 3 inch strips, and have a 6 inch strip, but the guy at homebase wouldn't cut it, cos it was too thin! So I gotta find someone with a saw to cut it for me, or let me use it to do it myself.

I can't order the glass until this is sorted and I have exact measurements. Plus I need a drill - hoping for one for xmas!

I've put a deposit down on an adult male corn, to be collected early Jan, so I gotta get my arse in gear! I'll update the other thread once I've done some actual work!

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
mind check that if the Ceramic 's are ES or BC...two type's I use are ES so those linked would be no good

Take care

·
Registered
3,297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I've got the holders, and bougth some heat resistant wire. I have 1 more question:

The wire has 3 wires inside - Yellow/Green, Blue, Brown.

The holder has connectors for 2 wires.

I've wired all 3 to the plug, and a test light is working with only the brown and blue connected at the holder. What do I do with the yellow/green wire? Shall I just cut it short at the holder so it doesn't stick out, do I need to disconnect it at the plug, or should it go somewhere else?

·
Premium Member
15,027 Posts
The yellow wire is the earth wire, tis not needed in some cases basically. You would have been better off getting 2 core wire rather than 3. My Fault sorry....

If you have the yellow wire out attach it to the metal clips or something.. its not really needed TBH.

·
Registered
3,297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
So am I OK leaving it loose, or attached to the metal clip or bulb guard? I don't wanna electrocute the snake!

·
Registered
3,297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks lads.

·
Registered
457 Posts
dont leave earth wire loose

if it moves and catches the live = very bad

either attach it to dummy pin or trim it down to wire casing

·
Registered
3,297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I'm gonna cut it right back into the main wire casing, so it doesn't stick out at all, but leave is attached at the plug. Is that OK?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts