Reptile Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
do i need a bulb guard over a ceramic heater, i think i do but not sure and do i need a reflecter and what watt will i need for a two foot viv(its for a boa)

thanks Kerrie

·
Registered
577 Posts
you will definatly need a guard as they get very hot, you wont need a reflector and i have no idea about wattage cos i have them in 6ft vivs, sorry i cant help more :oops:

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
kerrie said:
do i need a bulb guard over a ceramic heater, i think i do but not sure and do i need a reflecter and what watt will i need for a two foot viv(its for a boa)

thanks Kerrie
Yes, you need a guard as they get very hot!
A reflector is good to direct the heat downwards, otherwise you'll lose ALOT of heat.
Go for a 60watt for that size of viv.

MOST IMPORTANTLY, you NEED a thermostat.

·
Registered
577 Posts
doesnt the design of the ceramic bulb mean that all the heat is directed downwards??

if not i might need to be buying some reflectors :roll:

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
kwiky said:
doesnt the design of the ceramic bulb mean that all the heat is directed downwards??

if not i might need to be buying some reflectors :roll:
To some degree. More so than a normal bulb any way. The reflector does help a great deal though in focusing the heat downwards.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
As it's a small viv you may be better off using one of these rather than one of the hanging fittings:
(assuming that what you were going to use)

http://www.maplin.co.uk/Search.aspx?criteria=porcelain%
20es&doy=12m6&source=15

Total length with a 60w ceramic is about 5 inches so will fit into a standard guard. Good move with the pulse prop stat - you need accurate control for a small viv - just don't forget to use heat resistant mains cable!

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
i use a ceramic in my royals house, and i dont like it , the thermo stat beeps every now and again and its quite annoying at 3 am lol, i prefer red bulbs and b1 thermostats, and in a 2 foot viv u would only need a 60 watt or 75 watt tops :D

·
Registered
632 Posts
the covers are more axpensive that the heaters!! if you've got a Country Wide near you get some mesh wire and build your own thats what i did in my 6ft Viv. Boas are quite slow in the brain dpt so r more likely to get burnt than smaller snakes!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts