Reptile Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, ok, basically I am about to move my adult kingsnake into a larger vivarium. I bought the ceramics system, bulb, reflector etc and set it up fully with the correct temp. The problem is that I noticed that the reflector gets so hot that I can't touch it for more than 3 seconds. I have a feeling my king will get burnt by this. Is there any way I can prevent this? I have a wooden viv with glass front. All comments appreciated, all the best, Phil.

·
Registered
13,987 Posts
Hi everyone, ok, basically I am about to move my adult kingsnake into a larger vivarium. I bought the ceramics system, bulb, reflector etc and set it up fully with the correct temp. The problem is that I noticed that the reflector gets so hot that I can't touch it for more than 3 seconds. I have a feeling my king will get burnt by this. Is there any way I can prevent this? I have a wooden viv with glass front. All comments appreciated, all the best, Phil.
you must have a guard around ALL heating sources

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi Ian, I'm new to ceramics so i'll try to explain. I have a 150w bulb which has a black reflector around it, this is heated and is too hot for the snake due to the bulb heating it up. It also has mesh at the front of reflector to prevent touching the ceramic bulb. thanks again

·
Registered
6,330 Posts
Could you take a picture? You don't normally use a reflector with a ceramic, you simple screw the ceramic holder to the viv and then screw the cage around it.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sorry my camera is broken at the moment. That seems to make a lot of sense because if I screwed the bulb housing and had the ceramic bulb unprotected giving the heat, and then bought a cage to go around it, that should solve the problem. When I bought the item... named Thermo Socket Reflector Steel plus, i thought that all would be fine but it just gets really hot.

After speaking to you I could just buy a cage and not used the reflector. Thanks for your patience, the thing is driving me mad lol

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
yep sounds like youve got a dome with a ceramic inside. You would normally use bulbs in the dome. if your wanting to use the ceramic, pop it in a fitting and just put an ordinary cage around it :2thumb:

·
Registered
7,107 Posts
The dome reflector type is more suited for using with none climbing reptiles such as some lizards.
Ditch the reflector and get a ceramic guard.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hi Chapmand, I will get a refund for this thing and buy just a normal bulb fixture and cage. Thanks for your advice, I was a bit lost but now I know what I'm doing:notworthy:

Thanks for all comments, much appreciated:2thumb:

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
Hi Chapmand, I will get a refund for this thing and buy just a normal bulb fixture and cage. Thanks for your advice, I was a bit lost but now I know what I'm doing:notworthy:

no prob, plenty of good guys on here to give you some decent advice. :2thumb:

·
Registered
7,107 Posts

Just make sure it's a ceramic fitting or it can melt.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts