Reptile Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I didn't want to hijack the CGD thread but I'm curious, do people feed their cresties only CGD or do you include livefood too? I know CGD is meant to provide everything they need but do people feel that they need the stimulation of hunting livefood and the variety it provides?

I'm curious because I'm researching what gecko I'd like when I can finally have one and I thought I'd decided on Leo's but now I'm moving towards cresties and not having to have bugs in the house would be a big plus. However, I don't want to do anything that's not ideal for them.

·
Registered
717 Posts
You certainly can give them bugs but if you can't, you are doing them no harm at all. You'll get some more replies here confirming what I am saying but there are a lot of healthy cresties who don't eat live food. I understand your concern of course. Perhaps you could compare it to something like like providing deep soil to dig in for Ackies or not. They would survive without it, but they really should have it. But for the cresties, they can thrive on just CGD. It's your call. If you don't like the idea of bugs in the house (which I can understand cause I hate bugs!) then don't worry, you won't be doing any harm to your cresties as long as they are gobbling up the CGD.

One of our serious crestie members here runs TreasureCrest- High quality Crested Geckos and as far as I'm aware, all the cresties there get only CGD.

·
Registered
20,375 Posts
I offer all of mine Livefood as I never actually see them eating CGD and it worries me..
I love watching them hunt the Locusts and they eat loads! Most try and snatch them out of the tweezers before Ive had chance to let go lol

·
Registered
717 Posts
My female quite likes crickets but the male isn't as keen on them although he has eaten one or two. If you do decide to only use CGD but are worried about whether they are eating or not (as Brat is) then remember to weigh them every so often to make sure they are eating.

·
Registered
2,093 Posts
The other thing to remember is keep an eye out for poo - if there's stuff coming out, there must be stuff going in ;)

The amount of livefood I feed actually depends on the gecko.

For example, I feed my younger cresties and breeding females livefood once a week in addition to CGD. However, my adult males are no longer very interested in livefood, despite being avid hunters in their youth, so they pretty much only eat CGD, maybe the odd locust once every few weeks.

As has been said, there is no problem with only feeding CGD. What people do notice is that the growth rate is not so rapid, but this is not a bad thing!

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks folks - that's reassuring. I would probably get used to dealing with the bugs if I needed to but I am not a huge fan of the idea of them escaping in the house and I think it would be much easier to convince a landlord to let me have a reptile if it didn't involve having livefood.
Weighing them and checking for poo to make sure that they are eating are both good ideas. Thanks.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts