Reptile Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
I was wondering if you could give me some advise about a Veiled Chameleon, She is about 1.5 yrs old. I have only had her a few days as the woman who had her before couldn't and didn't have the time to look after her. She seems a little thin and is only eating around 2 or three crickets a day, she wont touch any veg because she's never had it before. She also seems a little shaky when she walks, her back legs seem slightly fat at the lower half and the woman who has her before didn't give her any kind of supplements so I think that she could have Metabolic Bone Disorder. It hasn't effected her anywhere else just her back legs. Her eyes also look a little sunken. I also think that she could be gravid as she seems to be blueish in colour with yellow moon shapes on her, which I know is a sign. However she doesn't spend much time at all at the bottom of her cage but I have put in a nest box anyway. I don't think she is really drinking and have set up a drip system but she doesn't seem to take any of it so I'm getting her a small rodent bottle today so that I can try to give her water by hand. I have got her set-up correct with right temp, humidity, good climbing places, she is sprayed about 4 times a day and I am supplementing her food. I want to improve her quality of life as much as I can and I wanted to know if you could give me any advise on anything I can do for this.
I have contacted a reptile vet in my area also but I am waiting for him to get back to me.
Hopefully you will be able to get back to me about this as I am very worried

·
Registered
373 Posts
if it is metabolic bone disease i think there is a limit to the amount you can do exept boosting the supplements, i no that vets can give calcium injections but if the chameleon is to far along they might decide to put her down :(. as for the skinniness try wax worms(high in fat and thats about it) and superworm as wel as the crickets, also you might wanna try a pinkie.
hope this helps :D
good luck mayb you could post some pics of her :D

·
Registered
4,905 Posts
i would say give her a cpl of waxworms every other feed but also try locust too :D

·
Registered
21,190 Posts
sorry no advice, hope she gets better soon.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you for your advise, she does like waxworms so I will try her on those. Yeh I hope I can help her, I will do evrything I can. I will try to borrow someones camera and post some pics so that you can let me know what you think

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanx, yeh Im trying to do all I can for her and if she really isnt well then I will do my best for her till the end :(

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
update

Hi all,
Just a little update on my new Cham. Well I was right about the Metabolic Bone Disorder! I took her to the vets and he x-rayed her she was full of eggs that she couldnt calcify and pass because she had had such a lack of calcium and she had broken all of her legs in the past because of lack of calcium! The vet has removed all the undeveloped eggs and her ovaries and we are hopeful that her legs will strengthen in time. All this and Ive only had her a week, cant believe that people just neglect animals like this :x well Im looking after her now and I pick her up from the vets tomorrow.
Thanks for all your advise everyone and I will let you know how her recovery goes, fingers crossed

1 - 8 of 8 Posts