Reptile Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys, We have a clutch of hatched yemens, but I have 2 eggs not yet hatched after 1 a further month (approaching 8 now).
One egg remains normal, the other seems to be hardening, but not collapsing, is going more opaque.

any suggestions? Just sprayed them loads.

ric

·
Registered
4,123 Posts
might be two reasons why..

the one that is going hard is most likely dead..they tend to go a shiny yellowish colour and start drying up.
the one that hasn't hatched yet probably can't get out as it's not strong enough? you may have to help it a bit.
a month is rather a long time..i have had them hatch 3 weeks later than the first but had one that took 5 weeks..is just a judgement call on your part whether or not you slit the egg..50/50 chance...

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
OK. Have given it a go.
Little fella inside looks fine.
I cut the top and peeled back the egg over the head.

Will check on it tomorrow.

fingers crossed!

BTW Belial: Female we picked up is improving nicely. Drinking well and eating on the sly too!

·
Registered
4,123 Posts
glad to hear it..she is very pretty!
yeah just keep an eye on the egg make sure it doesn't dry out...least you have done what you can now..sometimes you can leave it too long and they are already dead...annoys me when that happens...

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Has certainly moved!
Will check again AM.
If this works will try the last egg - has been too long. Siblings nearly 5 weeks old now!

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
When I cut the egg I know I cut the eggsac too.
Not intentionally - good or bad???

·
Registered
4,123 Posts
oh...could be bad...depends how developed the youngun is..if it is pretty far along could be ok..the eggsac is really only there to give em the final boost so they don't have to eat for a few days...i have had some that haven't used it at all and has fallen off after a couple days..moving is good though so i would say is pretty strong..

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
:)

Came home tonight to find a little one wandering around in the incubator.

RESULT!!!!!!!

:)

Advice in the egg cutting post was grand!!!

·
Registered
4,123 Posts
well done mate!! always good when they pull through...shame it's just a 50/50 chance but your baby obviously got the good 50!:) you keeping that one?

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Always want to keep them all.
Missus is trying to persuade me to keep one from our next clutch (due end feb) and then one from this new female - who was pregnant when she arrived.

Definitely unrelated!, but have got heart set on some Nosy Be's this year.

·
Registered
4,123 Posts
i know what you mean! is a shame you can't sometimes! even though i usually keep at least one!
glad to see you want to branch into panthers..is a good world! :lol2:

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Think we'll keep our fisher's on his own - and we can't find females anyway!!
Not going back into rampholeons - too fiddly

1 - 13 of 13 Posts