Reptile Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3,504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guy's i'm getting a baby yemen chameleon next tuesday/wednesday.any advice on the looking after of them would be great,ive looked at care sheet's,but some advice from keepers would be great.

·
Registered
4,123 Posts
what kind of things you wanting to know?

three most important things:

good ventilation
good supplementation/gut loading
don't stress them out!

yemens are excellent 'first' chameleons due to the relative toughness on the chameleon scale...just bear in mind this scale is uphill all the way!

some things you won't find in care sheets:

baby yemens should be kept slightly cooler as they do not thermoregulate as efficiently as they grow you should increase the temp from about 82-84/85.
never feed anything bigger than their head when young. treat the crickets like pets and feed them the best you can get..at the end of the day you are basically feeding the chameleon.
dust every other feeding with supplement. i use two: nutrobal, and a 2.0 calcium mix.
spray in the morning so humidity sits at about 60%. the babies like it slightly more humid about 70%.
good source of uv very important to help processing of calcium. not too high though as yemens live in tress and not in deserts!! uvb 5.0.
keep the food varied as poss...try different things locusts/crickets/giant mealworms/waxworms(in moderation)/silkworms/moths...if you can, get them to eat fruit. this may take a while but will eventually increase your 'menu' and in turn the chams health.
be aware of any signs of stress or illness. can all go downhill very fast. if your cham is brown all the time this is stress. review your husbandry. if cham start breathing strangely or gets manky eyes or a lump on nose take it to the vets. this will be a respitory infection and they are killers. (can be prevented with adequate ventilation)

Good luck! :D i have 6 adult yemens, 2 juvenile, 36 eggs and 10 babies they're all characters, even when very young! the females are always more personable though... :D

·
Registered
3,504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ive got a flexarium for him/her.i want him/her in living room away from the kids but might keep it in bedroom.i know my kids wont touch the flexarium as they dont hassle any of the other reptile's.

·
Registered
4,123 Posts
excellent for ventilation...
they are good long as you keep it out of draughts and relatively warm. :) don't use them personally, only in the summer in the garden.
yemens do get used to a deal of noise and bussle but they stress easily and like you say are better off out the way. they are all different and the way they react varies according to individuals. some are friendly, others are pretty cranky. comes down to how you treat them and their own personality.

·
Registered
3,504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i got a nice alcove in the room for the flexarium,no drafts.and the kids will not be able to go near it.

thanks for the help.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts