Reptile Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi
I have recently moved my Veiled into a new viv but he seems to keep burning the top of his crest, hes done it twice now, not badly it just looks a bit red on the top but obviously i dont want him hurting himself. Firstly is there anythin i can put on it to help it heal or make him more comfortable, and secondly how can i stop him doing it again. The bulb is in a reflector and is guarded and also he cant climb on it because its out the way. I dont really want 2 turn the heat down cos his cage needs to be in the 90S in one area... so any suggestions?
Thanks
Joe

·
Registered
3,281 Posts
where is the bulb? inside th eviv or out?
you could try some tomodine solution on the top of his head:)

·
Registered
71,221 Posts
Why Do You Have Something That Hot With Him?

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The Bulb is inside but in the top right hand corner, whats tomodine and where can i get it? I have the bulb in his cage because thats where it needs to be, i cant have it outside cos its a wooden viv. Everyone i know with a cham has bulb inside cage and hasnt had this problem from what i know.

·
Registered
3,281 Posts
you could put a mesh lid on the viv and put the bulb outside the viv? or you could put mesh around the bulb cage about 5cm in front or something?
tomodine is cleaner for reps i.e for wounds, you can get it online or in a rep shop :D

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
O.k cheers i will get some. The bulb is already in a large reflector with a metal grill so the cham cant get 2 close or touch bulb, but maybe another mesh cage would help, but i was worried another cage would just get hot and he mite climb on that and burn himself, but ill give it a go.
Cheers

·
Registered
3,281 Posts
i would maybe ditch the reflector as they get hot and stretch mesh across the corner of the cage where the bulb is :)

·
Registered
71,221 Posts
the heat is radiating beyond the mesh. it's way too hot. put your hand up against the mesh for a minute or so...

·
Registered
1,893 Posts
What size viv are we talking here? any chance of a pic of the viv so I can see his highest basking point and how far the bulb is away, I have never used a reflector with any of my reps with the right set up you just don't need to concentrate the heat that much, maybe in like a monitors viv they would be useful but not needed for a cham imo.

Tamodine might be worth using but tbh it's a burn more than a wound so I would consult your rep vet and ask for a cream to put on rather than a wash with tamodine.

Does he climb on the bulb guard?

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I kno whe heat radiates but iv never known anyone to have their cham burn itself, i know a guy who has a ceramic in his cage that the chams climb on the mesh guard and they dont seem to get burnt. The cage is about 4 ft high, 3 ft wide and 1.5 foot deep. He cant climb on eflector but can sits within bout 10-15 cm of it. I think i mite ditch reflector and put bulb in mesh cage but he will still be within same radius of it.

·
Registered
1,893 Posts
I don't use a bulb guard for my cham because it gives them the option of climbing on it, chams would find it very hard to climb on a normal bulb and holder and in my experience of keeping three chams I haven't ever had a burn issue or a climbing on the light issue.

It is weird that you are having such a problem but I do think the reflector could be your main issue, it's giving too much of a basking spot and the cham isn't realising how hot he is getting.

You aren't the only one with this issue many adult chams I have seen in shops have terrible looking casques due to burns but at least you are learning as you go and rectifying the problem, where is your thermostat probe? maybe pull it a bit closer to the bulb so it's not quite so hot where he is, my cham rarely sits under his basking for any amount of time so I don't have the problem at all but I am sure a degree or two difference won't make a huge problem for him healthwise :)

·
Registered
270 Posts
I cut a hole in the top of my woden viv then screwed a mesh cover from inside and sit the bulb ontop of the mesh outside works a treat

rob

1 - 13 of 13 Posts