Reptile Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Advice from some-ones who hatched Chameleon eggs please!
My friends Chameleon has laid about 40 eggs.

Have been advised to remove eggs from Viv and place in incubator.

At the moment they are in a plastic tub on moist cotton wool in an airing cupboard. They were moved very carefully and kept in the same position and they were laid.

Please can i have lots of advice to pass on the my M8 on how to care for these eggs. (have read much information but found it very conflicting) thanks.

What temp do they need to stay at?
Do the eggs need to be touching or not?
What colour should good eggs be?
should i take any eggs that arent good eggs out?
Should eggs be covered?
And so on........
please help.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Ok first we need to know what chameleon he has. But I would bet my left eye that it would be a veiled. So take the eggs off that wool and put them on vericuliet that is damp. Make sure that there is enough space between the eggs, they will grow. Good eggs will be a bit white/yellowish. But just put them all in. Then make a incubator. take a plastic tank, stick a heater in there and heat the water to 26 c. Put a sheet of stirofoam on the water and put the eggs on there with a lit on it. If you put a sheet of plastic over the top all the heat and water will stay in. The water will heat the foam and that will heat the vermiculiet and that will heat the eggs. Spray the eggs when the vermiculiet is dry. Good luck.

·
Registered
4,123 Posts
you have two options..either buy an incubator or make one...the eggs will not survive in an airing cupboard.

If buying get a brinsea reptile incubator they are the best on the market. i have two..but they are expensive.

If making get a styrofoam crate with a lid and put a heat mat on the rear wall make a whole in the side and place a thermostat probe through the side (you will need a good thermostat). You the need to take the eggs and put them on moist vermiculite (can be found at most petshops) tip is to give it a squeeze and should be just damp. the container they are in can be a plastic tub.
The eggs need to be about an inch apart but do not seperate any that are stuck together.
Keep the temperature at about 28c. I wouldn't recommend spraying the eggs...if the vermiculite dries out simply pour a bit onto the vermiculite. it will soak through.
If the eggs start to sink they are too dry. You will know if an egg is dead as it will dry out and shrivel. Remove these eggs and any that are overly moldy(obvoisly gone)

And abra cadabra in 5 months you will have beautiful baby chameleons....(i just hatched a clutch of 41 three weeks ago.)

Hope this helps. Any questions just ask!!! :D

·
Registered
554 Posts
I have hatched about 150 various chameleon eggs this year from a variety of species. and use a different method yet again to those described, but the principles are the same. I wont confuse the issue by describing my methods in detail.

Basically I like for Yemen's; 78f works well they will hatch out in six months time, vermiculite or perlite or a mix of both can be used. Not overly damp should not drip when when wrung out in hand but should hold enough moisture so as not to be soggy (there are ratios of water to egg medium on the net). I only 50% cover my eggs if that even, eggs placed side on not on end. I never turn them or touch them or water directly anywhere near them as this can cause mould and decay to the egg IMHO.

I would like to say there is no 100% right or wrong way with incubation and as long as basic parameters are followed then good results should be gained. So waht works well for one may or may not work well for others, but no one persons is the right way so please I am not saying my methods are. :D

The Brinsea R's are good and cost a bomb I have 3, I also have home made incubators that I hatched 75 mellors from so take your pick!

All the best of luck with your eggs, how long have they been in the cupboard they may not be viable now?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts