Reptile Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I haven't been on these forums for a while and noticed there has been some development since! I have been away due to research commitments and my pet has been doing great since. She is now longer than my hand (a reminder for any of you I have been talking to, a Veiled Chameleon). I have made a new, bigger home for her about 4 feet high and 2 and a half feet wide using plant saucers, plastic coated meshes and innovative means to prevent cricket escapees like some foil lining the bottom edge and top edge of cage as crickets cannot climb on foil. The whole set up is fantastic. Every time I handle her and return her to her cage she is very eager to get back in it as she likes it in there, with basking branches on top and jungle hunting grounds nearer the floor full of fake but convincing looking ivy leaves accompanied with a ficus bush and a few odd branches. She literally tries to jump off my hand to get back in and to get basking. I have a picture of it and my chameleon in my lab and home pc (the pic is not in this one), but I forgot my pocket pc and phone synchronisation cables so I cannot get it out yet, and it is not in my photo album DVD-RW. Hmm.
Anyway, I have had some concern, she is in excellent health and eating/ drinking water I spray on the leaves, but I noticed a reddish parasite underneath her left armpit, I delicately used a pair of tweezers and plucked it off, it did not cause her any concern, in fact she seemed relieved. Also, there is one on the skin of her left eye, I am not touching that one as it is a delicate area. I used vaseline, got her to look forwards so the parasite is exposed and smeared it in vaseline hoping to suffocate it. She is doing fine, no problems. Hoping to see it dead and dropped off. They are not causing health problems and cleaned out cage and cricket preparation cage. I identified their source being the crickets delivered to me, I sometimes see a bug like that on them and wondered when a cricket spends a few days alive not having been eaten (by luck, it is a large cage) it sometimes crawls over her (she just sits there pretending she doesn't exist, watching them), there could be parasite transfer to her. What do you think? Only saw 2, one plucked off and one smeared in vaseline near her eye.

Cheers.

Merry Christmas and a happy new year to you lot.

·
Registered
6,237 Posts
ive never seen a red parasite on any of my reps BUT sounds awfully like spider mite to me!!! i may be wrong!! can u not take her to the vet???? to get the proper diagnosis would help if we had a pic of the parasite u found onthe yeman. where did u get the ficus from?did u treat it before u put it inthe enclosure?? and give it 3 weeks of growing time b4 u put in the enclosure??? she must of got the mite fae somewhere.just wondering where. :? :?

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
There is only one. It is not red spider mite as it is not red enough, it is almost brown-orange. The ficus had been quarantined before I placed it in her cage, it was treated both at the center and here. The last one looks like it is going to drop off as the vaseline is weakening its grip on her. As I said, I cannot get her pic into this pc for a while yet as my digital camera needs repairs and my other equipment does not have the essential equipment to transfer pictures. I intended to put up a pic of her new home and the chameleon yesterday but I realized I do not have the stuff I needed.

Cheers for the response, and yes I am wondering where they may have come from too.

·
Registered
4,123 Posts
could be some form of tick...there are about 6 common types that can infect reptiles. they can cause disease in reptiles and lead to blood borne infections...if it is coming off then good..if not you will have to pull it off...it is actually quite rare to leave the head in as the tick injects enzymes onto the skin which make it relatively weak at that point...

you will have to give the whole viv a good clean as there could be some eggs hiding in a crack somewhere..crickets unless from a clean source are harbringers of all sorts of bugs..mites and ticks being prevalent..look into getting them from somewhere else and make sure you give EVERYTHING a good clean down..even any plants!

if the ticks still persist there are a couple of treatments including ivermectin/trichlorofon/no pest strips or even frontline!

·
Registered
2,423 Posts
I found the best thing was to use a cotton bud and olive oil on the problem areas, like creases of arms and legs, base of the tail etc, this will drown any mites hiding there. Mites tend to be really really tiny and can come in all sorts of colours, depending on the transparency of their body. They also move about quite quickly. Ticks tend NOT to move, and will blow up really big in comparison to mites, they get to like pin-head size and stick out like a tiny bead of black or red fluid.
Some might not agree with my method of killing mites but it works like a charm, and poses no risk to the lizard, it will also be safe with your live food, unlike some of the chemical treatments. Also, it doesnt involve ripping your viv apart either. The other thing is be careful where you use vaseline, it will severely do her head in if she gets it in her eye, lol

If tht fails there is something you can buy online called "Predatory mites" that feed on other mites and dead leaves, if this is not available they die off, ie when they've eaten all the bad mites and bad mite eggs they will die out themselves!!

Unfortunately not ideal in arid enclosures but should be ok with your cham !! :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts