Reptile Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

My male chameleon has 2 protrusions which I am guessing are his penis or penis/s. They only emerge when he has a poo (from same vent). Once he's poo'd the "protruding things" go back onto the body.

I've tried to look up chameleon testes/penis etc on google and a whole range of things came up but not what I'm looking for. :whistling2:

If anyone knows I'd be grateful. If you're male chameleon does this please let me know as I don't know if this is normal.

Thanks

Niikkki

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
Hi , it is notoriously difficult sexing bosc's , if you can catch them defecating and they "evert" males have what is termed as a hermipenis (looks like a flower on a stick! x 2) sometimes as in tegus males have a larger head and are larger but this is by no means 100% as you can get small males and large females so really unless you see them evert it is difficult :2thumb:

like a true gent :D

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
Hi

My male chameleon has 2 protrusions which I am guessing are his penis or penis/s. They only emerge when he has a poo (from same vent). Once he's poo'd the "protruding things" go back onto the body.

I've tried to look up chameleon testes/penis etc on google and a whole range of things came up but not what I'm looking for. :whistling2:

If anyone knows I'd be grateful. If you're male chameleon does this please let me know as I don't know if this is normal.

Thanks

Niikkki

u googled chameleon penis lol made my day

·
Registered
309 Posts
Ha ha i dont know about a penis, but it deffo could be his sperm plug. They expel these when they poo and then they go back inside. Its only a problem if it never comes out or stays out. I wouldn't worry

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks everyone. They do always go back in but as he's getting bigger these hemipenes are getting bigger. I'll try take a pic next time I catch him hovering his backside off a branch doing dumps, if anyone is interested.

Thanks again very helpful everyone.

And Yes, I did google "chameleon penis"....... and not a single diagram/info came up on reptilian penis's!! I didn't try googleing hemipenes, which may have been more useful. :blush:

·
Banned
7,935 Posts
lol amazing post

·
Premium Member
6,104 Posts
Chameleons like all lizards have a paired sex organ, called (as you seem to have discovered while googling Chameleon penis!!! :mf_dribble:) Hemipenes.

You'll find lots of reptiles push a little too hard while having a poo and do this kind of accidental exposure (get over to the tortoise section, it happens almost daily there :lol2:)

Nothing to worry about and nothing unusual :)

·
Registered
268 Posts
Made me Laugh :)

x

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.