Reptile Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
whats crackin. i have a veiled chameleon who is almost 5 months old. (he was born on 6/6/06!!! :twisted: crazy huh?) thing is, i dont think hes growing very much... id say hes about 8 inches with his tail. he's really healthy and pretty lively. he eats (a lot) out of my hand and hes got a sweet crib, but he doesn't look like hes really getting that big. aren't they supposed to grow to be 17-14 inches? maybe he needs to get laid. is he going to have like a growth spurt or something because i read they should reach maturity around six months??? ("Care and Breeding of Chameleons" by Vosjoli and Ferguson, page 83) also, is there any way to tell at this point whether hes going to be a calcarifer or a calyptratus? i kinda got my heart set on calyptratus... and the suspense, wow, unbearable. one more thing- actually, two more.. any expert opinions on the fluker's orange cube "complete cricket diet"? is it an adequate gutloading tecnique or do i have to keep buying collard greens and oranges from the grocery store, because frankly, i feel like a huge fruitcake doing it. last thing... does anyone have any good ideas for a drip system? those ones you buy at the store are ugly as hell, and i'm all about the aesthetics... maybe a discrete contraption of some kind?

·
Registered
4,123 Posts
some males simply do not get that big...depends how big the parents are/were...wouldn't worry long as he is eating and drinking...
drip systems eh? pain in the neck those things!! get a dripper and have it dripping down a plant like a ficus you can hide the hose in the leaves but the cham will still see the drips...drips need to be collected in a dish at the bottom or you will have a wet viv! i use a hamster water bottle for all of mine...much easier...
no idea about the orange cube thing..fish flakes and fruit do the job...

·
Registered
4,123 Posts
hmm yep!! works a treat...you can't just stick it in there though cos that really wouldn't work!! i just hold it near em an squeeze, the water drips out and they drink....easy peezy :D

·
Registered
13,846 Posts
someone told me their bosc drank from a water bottle too. Ive not tried it myself but only because i leep forgetting. :lol:

·
Registered
3,103 Posts
tombraider said:
someone told me their bosc drank from a water bottle too. Ive not tried it myself but only because i leep forgetting. :lol:

yeah that was me! :lol: :lol: he did he loves it! :lol: :lol: :lol:

I use a spray bottle for my cham but its a really cool one that kinda has different speeds of spraying the water out! my cham doesn't mind it! and he drinks via it every day! :D

·
Registered
13,846 Posts
I put a big dripper in the adult chameleons viv earlier but he didnt look too pleased with it... well not until i put his morio worms on top of it and he decided the lid makes a nice plate :lol: Havnt seen him drink any of the water dripping from it yet :roll:

·
Registered
4,123 Posts
they don't at first till they know what it is! one of my females kept trying to eat the hose..the drippers do work though just gotta be careful of any standing water cos chameleons don't swim well...personally don't use them but it's only cos i have been too lazy to figure out a reflow method..sure you could do something with some sort of tropical fish equipment to move the water back up to the dripper...hmmm...will have to think bout that one!! :)

·
Registered
4,123 Posts
ice cubes do work but they melt pretty fast! my lot try and eat em too which ain't good!! :)
but they help with the aesthetics...

·
Registered
4,123 Posts
crazy,

forgot to say...they are a hybrid of calyptratus and arabicus. calcarifer is a sub nominate species from arabia and the chance of you actually having one is very small as it is the change of locality that determines the slight variation in size and casque height.. anyone that actually had calcarifer would sell it as such because they would pretty much be unique and as such very expensive! there is even some debate about the classification of such as calcarifer...
you will have chameleo clayptratus of this i have no doubt...sorry to spoil the anticipation :(
but hey yemens is still yemens :)

·
Registered
5,614 Posts
With regards to your drip system query - a company called ESU make a lovely tree effect drip system - I am not sure about the distibution of it in the states though :( :(

You can try www.bitsforpets.com - not too sure if they offer international shipping though :)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Drippers

Firstly I would like to say thanks I have never posted on these forums before, but I have used them a great deal, as there is a wealth of experience amongst the members that I have found invaluable in the past.

Now drippers.

I have a Veiled Chameleon, and I did all sorts of experiments with ice cubes, styrophone cups, and various other devices. I use a large flexarium, with a dripper system which cost about 6 quid and is basically a sweet jar sized bottle with a hanging loop and a small tap coming from the bottom to control flow it’s from ZOO-MED and called the little dripper. This is where the flex really comes into its own. I brought two plastic boxes, designed to go under a bed with pull out drawers from B&Q for about a tenner. I put the dripper above the flex and stood the whole flex on top of the two storage boxes, once I had drilled holes in the their lids. The water drips through the flex onto the leaves and then drops onto the storage boxes through the mesh on the floor. When the drawer starts to fill I simply pull it out and empty it without having to open the flex and stress the Cham, and there is no opportunity for him to drown either. Because the dripper is above the flex it can be refilled without disturbing him either.

Now if someone could explain why (despite the fact I clean and feed him) Walter (the Cham) insists on trying to bite me whenever I open the cage, whereas he will walk onto my wife’s extended hand and sit happily if she does.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
thanks for the responses everyone

I posted this a few months ago but was impatient and forgot about it, then i checked it tonight and saw all the great feedback(belial, on the calyptratus/calciferer bit especially) and it made me cry tears of joy, on the inside:cry: . I actually ended up answering all of my own questions exept for the species one. I devised my own really complicated/simple drip system that works perfectly. My chameleon is getting to be quite a sizable fella at this point and i get comments from friends about it all the time like, "Damn hes f**kin' huge he was like half that big last time i saw him:idea: ." now i have a couple more quick questions.. I've heard that brighter plants and lighting can cause a chameleon to develop brighter coloration(Care and Breeding of Chameleons, Vosjoli/Ferguson page 102). I want an exceptionally bright chameleon! I got the light(reptisun 10.0), and i got the pothos, but all the plants seem to be the same color to me..green. So my question is, where do i get these bright colored plants:hmm: ? Maybe I should get two uv lights. would that be necessary? Last question.. where do i show off my pictures? I think my terrarium is a friggin masterpiece, and i want to see other peoples'. Thanks again for any help you can provide:D .
P.S. i shoot up a foot every time i get laid:eek:wned8:

·
Registered
4,123 Posts
Chameleon colours...now there is a fascinating subject..

All male yemens develop different colours and there are a range of factors that determine how bright and what these colours will be:

1. genetics. The range of colour/patternisation and brightness can be a direct result of the strength of his genes.
2. upbringing. The habitat they were brought up in, the diet they were fed, and the social structure all determine the colours of a male.
3. environment. The environment he is now in. the brightness of the light, the naturalness of the viv, the amount of stress, and interaction with other yemens.

so in order to have a very bright (sunburst phase) yemen you have to

1. get good genes
2. separate the male from the start. let him see other males but not compete with them for food.
3. keep in optimal conditons with live plants in a stress free environment.

Secret Bonus Colour: get a female yemen and let him see it!!:)

The range of colours they will go is not determined. yemens do not exhibit reds but each individual can show varying degrees of orange and yellow. I have one male, who although tiny is the most colourful male i have ever seen. he gets almost orange bars with vibrant green backing. even when exhibiting stress colours he is still stunning. His colour is a direct result of 1-4.

post some pictures in the lizard section would be great to see your yemen..:)

·
Registered
4,123 Posts
Here is melvin..unfortunately as soon as he sees you/or a camera this is his reaction! will try and get a better relaxed one tomorrow!:)

1 - 20 of 25 Posts